cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Fall is only good when it's Autumn!

It’s no secret that the risk of injuring ourselves in a fall increases as we age.

More than likely you know someone, or you yourself, have taken a spill or had a close call that could have resulted in a trip to the emergency room.

Here are steps you can take towards fall prevention and some can be tackled immediately so that you can continue to maintain your level of independence. 

6 Things You Can Do Today To Prevent A Fall 

1. Remove Obstacles- Walk through your home and take note of anything that could be a hazard. Culprits include throw rugs, cords, baskets or plant stands. Eliminate these from walking paths. Assess your furniture pieces to make sure they are placed in ways that don’t obstruct walking paths.
  2. Turn on Lights- Keep lights on in dimly lit areas or use night lights with sensors. Place flashlights in convenient locations in the event of a power outage and make sure to keep a lamp on your night stand. If you’re concerned about the expense of leaving lights on, consider investing in energy efficient LED bulbs.
  3. Choose the Right Shoes- Your favorite slippers may be comfortable, but slip on shoes are not recommended in most circumstances. Select shoes with a non-skid soles that offer your foot support. Opt for an insert if you need added arch or heel support. 
  4. Try At Home Balance Exercises- Keeping steady on your feet is an excellent way to stay in shape and is an integral part of fall prevention. There are several simple balance exercises that can be done at home, that will help to improve your balance.
  5. Take a Walk- Staying physically active is a great approach to fall prevention. A daily walk around your block, neighborhood or local walking paths will strengthen your legs as well as increase your endurance. Consider walking around the mall during the winter months.
  6. Call Your Physician- If you take prescription medications, consult your physician about possible side effects that can cause loss of balance. If you’ve experienced changes in your physical abilities, inquire about therapy services that can address your mobility and balance. 

http://blog.lec.org/blog/how-to-reduce-the-risk-of-falling-at-home?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyerpBRD9ARIsAH-ITn-...

Thomas:  Let's be careful out there - aging is challenging enough even when we haven't fallen!

Tags (1)
8 Replies
sweetplt

Thank you for this list Thomas3.20.2010 ... about 1 year ago the Doctors added another BP med...and it took my BP so low that one night I woke to go to the bathroom and got so dizzy went to my knees and fell and hit the side of my head and eye on tile...Hubs came in and I was out ....went to ER and had a concussion and my eye was bruised and closed shut for days...I was told at ER since it was my second fall in 15 years and both were in the bathroom...most falls in bathroom....I am 54 years old ... and had enough falls for one lifetime...Happy Friday dear man...~ Colleen 235 DOF 

0 Kudos
indingrl

Amen MY beloved brother - thank you so much for safety tips and exercises for balance - I do appreciate YOU and YOUR teaching - gentle hug❤

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Thank you for the points and reminders to make of aware of the dangers of falling.

0 Kudos
Christine13

Thanks for this, good information!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Actually, I've fallen a few times lately.  My dear new dog has pulled me down on  the ground twice recently.  And today, I had the carpets clean.  They got their spray on the tile floor (instead of the carpet)  in the entrance way and I went down again. I don't know????

0 Kudos

Do you use a cane or a walker? You may want to ask your Dr. about these falls - I highly recommend it! A broken hip or other damage can leave you permanently impaired.Barbscloud

Barbscloud

I'm very active.  Don't need either.  Need for my dog to mellow out.  Have a new trainer and an e-collar.

0 Kudos
elvan

My balance is always impaired because of my back issues, I have fallen many times because I don't always see little things that cats leave in my path.  I never wear shoes at home...when it's really cold, I wear slippers.  I DO turn lights on but sometimes, it just doesn't seem to matter.  I haven't broken anything bigger than a toe or a finger, knock on wood.

Thanks for these reminders, Thomas.

Ellen

0 Kudos