cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Experiences from patch users?

I’ve been on the 14mg patch for almost 5 weeks now.  I can go longer than the 6 weeks before dropping to 7mg.  I’d like to know if this starts another withdrawl experience.  I have lozenges for back up, but they can make you nauseous if taken too close together.  I’m also experiencing the stopping smoking and feel worse for it.  I’m no newbie now so this baffles me.  Any ideas who have done fgis step down?

0 Kudos
32 Replies
elvan

McCarron‌ Yes, COPD is very real and very hard to live with. I would really like to suggest that you consider moving your quit date up because April 1st is a long ways away and once damage starts...it keeps progressing.  I had asthma too.

Do start preparing for your quit as soon as you can.

Ellen

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

Gwenivere   
 My understanding is Tobacco", is the main culprit, for the destruction of our bodies.  Not including E cigs.

All  the Manufacturers "   doctor up the Tobacco which does contain Nicotine naturally ,  with ammonia and paint thinner...etc.  They figure out ways to manipulate how, and how much, of the chemicals our brains get, for the addiction process to happen!
Also Making It So Damn Hard To Quit. 

All that I have read, and learned;  Staying on the patch, with nicotine, probably wont kill us recovering addicts.  

My personal,  opine on how you buy them;  Would NOT BE from purchasing on  websites.  MHO.  That is just how I feel"

Gwenivere

Thank you for all the responses.  All my doctors don’t mind if I use nicotine the rest of my life if I so choose.  What amazes me is with using them I have been experiencing withdrawl, but I chalk that up to delivery.  Anyone who’s an addict wants the instant gratification.  I don’t buy these online.  Too much risk.  OTC at my local drug store and have found name brand is best in this case.  I bought some from Amazon and they have adheasive issues.  I guess our bodies get used to the additives to make the tobacco more addictive.  Only thing I can figure out as to why I feel what the cold quitters do.  

elvan

I think you are right and our bodies crave whatever additives they put in cigarettes.  Apparently, they haven't figured out how to deliver those in a patch.

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

And hopefully won't!  

elvan

You know, I really was only using half of each lung even before the surgery, my upper lobes were not functioning anyways...initially, I felt better after the surgery and my oxygen saturations went up.  I have to work at keeping them that way.  I went on steroids for my arthritis and then I developed COPD, I already had asthma.  Would you, by any chance, be a candidate for a lung transplant down the road?  That is what they told me would be my next step should I get much, much worse.  I am still able to function.  Yes, I tire easily and I also get very short of breath with limited exertion...like walking up a slight incline from my house to my car.  Sometimes, it is at panic level but fortunately not all of the time.

I really hope that they can help you...

Ellen

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

Have no idea about transplants.  Pretty extreme.  Think it would be better off for someone with a motivation for life.  I’m still tying to figure out why I have gotten so much worse for quitting.  Are you on oxygen?

0 Kudos
Barbara145

I say do not step down to the 7mg patch.  It is too soon for what I observe in you.  I have hypothyroidism and severe emphysema and I am doing well.  I am 71.  I walk everyday, I eat well and take a truckload of vitamins and herbs.  I live alone ( I was divorced twice.) and I have a sweet little  house-mate a little miniature schnauzer.  Life is what you make it.  Praying you feel better emotionally and physically.

Barbara145

I just re-read the blogs.  I don't understand why you didn't start with the 21mg patch.  I would talk to your doctor's.  I bet it would make you feel better.

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

If I had started with the 21's, that would have been more than I smoked, I was at about 15/16 cigarettes a day max.  Had I done the high patch and lozenges for cravings I would be getting much more nicotine.  The program says start at 14 if you smoke less than 10 a day, but my quit coach and I agreed this would be a better starting point.  I just get frustrated that I have intense withdrawals at times and am already getting more.  I figure I get about 21mg now between the patch and lozenges.  By far the worst is the brain fog.  I so hate feeling I am living in slow motion.

0 Kudos