cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sarahsmile

Ex-vapers--what are your recommendations?

I'm ready to quit vaping and I want to know if anyone has any recommendations that could help me. I'm 25, I smoked cigarettes from age 17-24, then switched to juuling this year. I considered it better than smoking, which I shouldn't have, and I now realize just how dangerous it is. The worst part is that juuling is so much easier than smoking ever was. No scent, don't need to go outside, etc. But with the vaping illnesses becoming increasingly worrisome in the news, I can't do it anymore. 

Was there anything in particular that helped you quit juuling?

#quit vaping#juul

Tags (2)
20 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s 

Glad you found our site and glad you made the decision to stop smoking/vaping...you may want to check out the group E-Cig and Vape Quitters and Users here at Ex’s.  I quit smoking cigarettes, but we consider both the same because both are addiction...keep busy is my advice.../blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=3dbe... 

~ Colleen 283 DOF 

PrimeNumberJD

Chicago, welcome! I am not far from you, our state happens to provide free patches (probably from all the increases in taxes)  if you choose that route (800-quit-yes or quityes.org). From what I see in response from vapers, and from suggestions to quit, your tactics will be about the same. Really, your triggers are more wise spread as you can do it anywhere and it didn't hold the stigma associated with smoking. 

You must break your addiction to nicotine. It takes 3 days for nicotine to exit your system; coincidently, three days is usually the height of craves, after which it dwindles down. If you don't feel you can get through 3 days, then you may want to consider nicotine replacement therapy. The biggest thing to decide is what will get you quit? Whatever that is, do that! 

Above, there are some great resources to read; in this battle,  knowledge is the power to quit. The more you understand this addiction, your triggers, and how to overcome them, the more likely you are to succeed.

Welcome to the community!

Beccihuffman

Hello, unfortunately I quit vaping for 3 days and by he 4th day I was about to go crazy so I picked it up again. I think it takes longer than 3 days for nicotine to leave your body.

Barbscloud

I agree.  Everyone says 3 days, but everything I've read it's a few days to several weeks. 

."Nicotine is out of your body 72 hours after you quit smoking. Nicotine withdrawal symptoms usually reach their peak 2 to 3 days after you quit, and are gone within 1 to 3 months".

"Withdrawal symptoms usually peak after 1–3 days and then decrease over a period of 3–4 weeks. After this time, the body has expelled most of the nicotine, and the withdrawal effects are mainly psychological."

So how are you doing now?   Have you set another quit date?  It helps to get right back on track.  Reach out next time before you vape.

Barb

PrimeNumberJD

Nicotine is out of your body in 3 days, the half life of nicotine is about 2 hours. Its off product Cotinine has a half life of 24 hours. 93% of nicotine is processed out of your body in 8 hours! The Cotinine takes 4 days to reach 93%. If I'm not mistaken, blood tests for insurance look for Cotinine and not nicotine, which can be in your system for up to a week. 

Symptoms last longer, but generally peak with the physical withdrawl at 3 days. However, at approximately 3 weeks, your brain begins to reduce nicotine receptors back to normal, so you experience another physical change, I didn't feel a negative effect out of the normal though. 

I argue it like this, the physical withdrawl last 3 days; you continue to crave and urge after that because of triggers. If you sit on the couch and pick up your phone every time, the first time you do that without your phone, and probably several times after that, you will go to look at your phone. It is, very much so, a pavlovian response. Smoking is no different. The problem is, it takes a month to months to undo the triggers as they are so wide spread. 

Now, I would argue you made it through the most difficult part of quitting and have proven you can do it. Quitting is different for everyone, so what worked for me or didn't may be the opposite for you. I concentrated on important days and times. I knew if I could make it to day 3, I would make it to 1 month. 

You, if you haven't already, will make it past day 4, because you know what led you to go back (besides the availbility); overcome that! 

sarahsmile

Thank you so much for this!!! I'm worried about withdrawal but honestly the effects of withdrawal pale in comparison to the effects of vaping and smoking cigarettes. I've got this. And your/this website's support really makes me feel like I CAN do this. Thank you, seriously, so much.

sarahsmile

Yeah, I think it's going to take a little longer since I was a habitual smoker and then I switched to vaping. My only hope is that because I only smoked 5 cigarettes a day, and that I don't vape all that often, that it might be easier for me, but I don't think nicotine works that way. I wish it was easier, but I know I just have to hang on and remind myself that it's all for the best, and more than that, this is something I truly, deeply want.

0 Kudos
sarahsmile

I had no idea about the free patches! I'll consider it, if I can't handle quitting without them. I want to try though. For me, the effects of withdrawal are nothing compared to the effects of smoking/vaping. If I keep that in my mind, and if I keep my eyes on a nicotine-free future, I hope that'll help me get by. Thank you so much for your support, it means so much!

PrimeNumberJD

sarahsmile‌ I'm glad that you are choosing to go without NRT to quit! While whatever method it will take to quit is what you should do, it seems cold Turkey is the way to go!

Screenshot_20190714-232949_Chrome.jpg

0 Kudos
jonimarie

sarahsmile Beautiful name, welcome to EX

I never vaped but it is no less an addiction than my cigarette smoking

A habit that we let turn into an addiction

As others have suggested create a quit plan and pick a date

We are a supportive group and all it takes is a commitment to quit and work through it with the help of the folks here