cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

srmissouri

Ex-Heroin Addict Not Taking Quitting Cigs Seriously

Perhaps it's because I'm young but it's been very hard for me to take quitting smoking seriously.  I realize all of the health problems that result from smoking, and if I didn't my mom wouldn't remind me anyway, and the typical reasons people use to quit smoking but I just can't quite jive with what they are saying.  The biggest thing that's helped me is the money I save as a result of smoking less.  I recently started using the patch, I have flexible medical spending at work so it's ultimately free, and that has helped me cut my smoking in half but I'm now on the last step and the whole idea of 'quitting' is freaking me out.  I haven't smoked for that long, a couple of years, but I really do enjoy it.  The idea of 'cutting back' is much easier for me to take.  Surprise right?  Still, I'm at this site and I started using the patch because I would like to not be so reliant on something to get me going everyday.  Let me qualify this by saying that I'm also a past heroin addict and am currently using methadone...I've tapered my dose from 200mg to currently 27mg...and can't wait to be done with that.  I basically chose two of the most addictive drugs to bring into my life about 5 years ago and am trying to remove them today.  After quitting heroin I honestly just wasn't taking quitting cigarettes that seriously.  I've gotten better regarding this but am still smoking today....not a lot but enough...10 cigarettes or less a day.  Basically I'm writing this looking for advice and suppport...plus, it helps to vent.  I've started a blog regarding my quitting drugs and that has helped immensely as well (Confessions of a Partially Reformed Sinner).  Please if anyone out there can help me please please do so....

Thank You

0 Kudos
6 Replies
patrick-marsh

HEY JUST LIKE THE DURGS YOU HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT! MOST OF QUITTING IS IN YOUR MIND!

WELCOME TO THE SITE YOU CAN GET ALOT OF SUPPORT HERE AND HELP! BUT ITS YOUR QUIT! ITS UP TO YOU! MORE THEN WILLING TO HELP BUT ITS UP TO YOU !1

0 Kudos
brenda61

Welcome and you can vent with us anytime you need to. 

0 Kudos

Try going to whyquitl.com or  hwc's page (top of page, click members, right side of page-search hwc) you might find some motivation.  Most of us hang out on the Blogs, the groups and forums are less well attended.  Welcome!

0 Kudos
srmissouri

I wanted to thank everyone for their support.  This is exactly why I posted to begin with.  Thank you especially to Brenda and geminigypsylady.  Brenda, for giving me the green light to vent as I wonder sometimes whether starting this conversation wasn't a bit self-important and I was over estimating whether or  not anyone would relate or care for that matter.  Geminigypsylady, for giving me someone to relate to.  I have heard that nicotine is harder to quit than heroin, I'm not sure if that's true...I haven't felt like death would be better than quitting or feeling like mugging someone was a good idea to get cash to get a cigarette.  Still, it has proven to be a rather formidable opponent.  I think the biggest obstacle has been the legality of cigarettes.  Quitting heroin brings with it the decreased chance of arrest and overdose but quitting smoking...especially for someone who is only 26, doesn't have any immediately apparent issues.  Of course, if I didn't believe in the benefits of quitting smoking I wouldn't be here.  I did get a response that I don't see listed here in the thread that said that 'there is no such thing as cutting back' in response to me touting the fact that while I haven't quit I have cut back a great deal.  To that person I say you have obviously never had to approach something that is so difficult that you have to take it in a step by step manner.  This is why cutting back is absolutely the first step on my way to quitting.  I agree that this is no substitute for quitting but it is a heck of an alternative for the time being to smoking a pack a day.  Anyway, to wrap up on a positive note, I reached an all time low of 4 smokes in a day, definitely a milestone for your truly.  Thank you again to everyone who posted, even the less than supportive ones, as they give me more resolve everyday to continue down this path.  Good luck to everyone and please keep the comments coming as they give me the support that is so lacking in my everyday life.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
graeham

Welcome, I'm a personal trainer thats been telling vevry one that health is important . But i was denieing my self the truth because i was addicted to the smokes...

Well now 9 day in adn still going strong, i wish i could have a smoke but then i want a healthy life so i've decided the health. I will say that not being additact to any HARD drugs , but ill tell you that giving up the smokes anit easy and will take a lot of will power and soport has help me thruogh this blog, Venying is great and good to see that you are blogging, its helped me heaps. Keep focuse on the quit road and travell it well GRAEHAM...

0 Kudos
krisknox

I admitt I experience such things, I was desperate that time in my eagerness to stop smoking I seek many things and procedure just to quit I read different books and look over the interent t1 just find easy ways to quit until I know that in order to quit it you must have your own initiative just to stop such crazy thinhs.

0 Kudos