cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Everything about this virus sucks

A friend has died. I knew it would happen eventually. Doesn't make it any easier.

My smoking urges are as strong as they were when I quit 468 days ago, including my clenched teeth that I experienced in the early days of my quit. I WILL NOT SMOKE. I want to make that clear. But it's just shocking how the underlying stress I didn't even know I was experiencing is manifesting itself.

Today, I woke up not giving a rat's hiney about anything and totally didn't want to get up. So I stayed in bed till 10. It didn't help to finally get up, but I did. I did make a brunch for the three of us and it was okay. My husband could tell I wasn't myself and said "let's go for a walk." So we harnessed and leashed the dog and went to our favorite walking place. A lot of people had the same idea. I saw kids riding their bikes in a big parking lot, people walking, jogging, and all that fun stuff, all while keeping their distance from everyone. 

I have a lot of cuss words to add here to express how I really feel about coronavirus and its effects on our world, but I'll keep them to myself.

Please be safe everyone.  

Congrats to all of us for not smoking!

Donna

tp.jpg

Humor helps

18 Replies
Mandolinrain

images-12.jpeg

So very sorry to hear your friend passed. 

Glad you came and posted. I have had grandkids last few days, so I missed this. Love and has your way. We will get through this, so glad your hubby got you out. It what we have been doing also, walking the dog weather permitting.

When Im down, I try to find the blessings....and here he is, snoring in bed next to me as I type.  Stay well my friend.

SisBB

Donna,

I’m so sorry for your loss! I bet it’s even harder while we’re all sheltering in place.

I’m proud of you for not smoking! Keep up the great work! 

Andstillirise

I’m so sorry about the loss of your friend . Can relate to the craving being strong . I’ll have quit a year on April 13 but there is no way in hell im smoking over the virus , apocalypse or mass freaking extinction. NOT GONNA HAPPEN .

Do you know what I thought of when I had the cravings ? Peter Jennings . The beloved anchor had quit smoking for two years I believe and within a day of 9/11 happening he started smoking again . It wasn’t too many years later he was dxed with cancer and died . 

We will not cave under pressure no matter how stressed , scary or uncertain times are ...AND the risk of more severe COVID19 outcomes are being found in SMOKERS . 

so let’s just not go there ! 

hugs to everyone ! 

DonnaMarie

Congrats on the almost year! That's pretty phenomenal. 

Swanbird

I am so very sorry about your friend.  These times are creating so much stress and anxiety.  Stay strong as I'm sure you will.  Better days to come...

Barbscloud

My condolences on the loss of your friend.  These are scary times for all of us.  Keep walking.  I walk twice a day and it really helps.

Barb

Gai.C

So Sorry for the Loss of Your Friend. Glad u posted. U passed the Test with Flying Colors.  Praying for Comfort, Peace Strength for U today.  

BobKatt22

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend Donna Marie. In my opinion only life really does suck. I have 396 DOF under my belt. I am a weak person , I still have not lost the desire to smoke again, but through determination and stubbornness JFT I WILL NOT SMOKE!!!!! But this being isolated at home with nothing but time on my hands is making it twice as worse especially since I have a roommate who smokes in the house and I can smell that sweet nectar constantly. UUUGGHGH!!!!!!! I know I’m not supposed to call it that but it does smell pretty good. And the cigarette store is within walking distance from my house , you did great by posting in here and “THIS TOO SHALL PASS”  and when it’s over I shall still be a winner, because smoking is for losers, and I’ve been a loser for a long time...... I want to try the other side of the coin for a change..... I WANT TO BE....AND WILL BE A WINNER FROM NOW ON!! 
One day at a time, one moment at a time, accepting hardships as a pathway to peace, taking as Jesus did this world as As it is , not as I would have it, trusting that he will make all things right. And I will be reasonably happy in this world and SUPREMELY HAPPY IN THE NEXT FOREVER AND FOREVER AMEN!!!..... I’ve forgotten some of this prayer but I think you get the gist of it! Stay well!!! And smoke free!!

RoseH

I am probably old enough to be a mother to lots of people here.  However, I think Young and I act Young...  I was at my Mom’s bedside when she passed and I can still see “pictures” of that.  First time for me...  I avoid thinking about it because WHY would I want to suffer again and again?  We need to understand that life is not a permanent thing.  “There is a time for all seasons etc.”  I am a Christian and I do believe in the Lord.  I think earth is “purgatory” in my own humble opinion.  I don’t think about passing.  I Live!  I learned almost two years ago that I am happiest when I am helping others quit smoking.  If I can do it, anybody can.  Sorrow is a part of life.  I don’t “fight it" any more.  Feeling sad is a human thing.  I have a meme I look at first thing in the morning and it basically says, “Don’t worry about anything that is making you feel bad...  Just remember that your “Lifeguard” walks on water.”  When I put my trust in my “Lifeguard” I feel better.  Rosemary