cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Emotional disconnect......?

Once the physical addiction has passed...the total of about 4 days!! the real work begins, it's been almost 7 months and I still have these moments that I'm heading to the sliding glass door to step out to have a cig. I have to talk to myself and say.........we don't do that anymore.The emotional reward memory is still soooooooo strong. When does it pass. I know I won't smoke.......but, I miss the reward. I would tell myself, once you finish the task at hand, you may have a smoke. for some reason, I still miss that.

h.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HarborLady

Hello!  I don't have as much quit time as you, but I have those cravings probably the most.  I never realized until I quit just how much I rewarded myself with cigarettes.  I thought the hardest break would be the one with the first morning coffee.  Many years ago I never smoked before 10:00 A.M. or 11:00 A.M. but then gradually the 1st one of the day was my most important.  Actually, that was a fairly easy one to get over, but I still feel so odd after a long hard project is complete not to reward myself.  Sure, maybe I could have a banana split, or a glass of wine or something other than a cigarette, but it a cigarette my body and brain seems to expect.  How weird?  I just know it is what it is.  I know, when it gets really bad I just have to hang tough for max 5 minutes.  Maybe as the more often we do not react to the Pavlovian response it will eventually go away.  (fingers crossed in hope)  Just know that you are not alone.  Thanks for your post, so I know I am not alone too!  Hugs, keep going, you've got too much quit time to blow it even once.  Keep going you're going great!  I can't wait to have as much quit time as you.  🙂

0 Kudos

Thank-you, for sharing your experience with the emotional reward system. It's wonderful to know that other people are finding a new way to reward the moments that cigs held the position of. Just breaking it down has proved to be very helpful for me. It's puts a label on what "it" is. Somehow, I find great comfort in that understanding.

Best of luck on your continued journey to live a smoke free life. 

0 Kudos