cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Swanbird

Drinking and quitting smoking

I am finished with my temporary job tomorrow.  Happy and sad.  People want to go out for drinks after work.  I have never done this without smoking.  I’m nervous and scared about it.  Any suggestions how to get through this?  Thank you

Tags (1)
21 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

No need to put yourself in a risky situation this early in your quit.  If you feel you can handle it, go for a short period of time and don't drink alcohol.  Best wishes!

YoungAtHeart

If you feel like you must go, limit yourself to just one drink or one beer - and figure out ahead of time a good excuse to leave that you can use if the need arises.  If you start to waver, get thee OUT of there!  Even folks with longer quits have lost them to the "just one won't hurt" pitfall.  It will ALWAYS lead to another - ALWAYS!

Let us know how you do!

Nancy

WhispersQSMB

Drinking was a trigger for me, i avoided it for the first year. If you go, bring some mints or something(gum, candy) ...

redluvr

My first thought is that this is an opportunity to prove to yourself that you can win the battle. Imagine how awesome it will feel to have gone out for drinks and NOT have smoked at all.

I'm a regular beer drinker and was worried it might be a trigger once I decided to quit. To my surprise, I found that after a few drinks I became defiant. I wasn't going to allow any temptation to come between me and quitting for good. 

Ultimately, you know you better than anyone else could. If you're legitimately concerned that a few drinks might mess things up, then don't do it. However, if you think you're up to the challenge, this might be the chance to prove to yourself that you're the one in control of how it's going to be. 

Be strong, and don't hesitate to reach out for support! 

ClearColors

I had the worst trigger after a drink.  Many quits are lost like that.  I would abstain and order a non-alcoholic drink. You and your quit come first.  You can do this.

sweetplt

I lost two big quits from drinking...early in the quit, you really need to avoid alcohol....it goes hand and hand....so politely say “you can’t go” and do something else...or get a tonic with splash of cranberry and a lime...no alcohol...and prepare to leave if the urge arises...it isn’t worth putting yourself in this situation...unless there is no choice...Gotcha in my thoughts ~ keep us posted....~Colleen 340 DOF 

Roj

Definitely DO NOT drink, and if it’s too much to be around smokers that are bound to be at the doorways outside...I wouldn’t even go, protect your quit at all costs...blessings

Cousin-Itt

My advice if you feel as if you must go Go.  I would stay away from alcohol this early in your quit. Nothing wrong with enjoying a coke which I have done on many occasions  Realize the goal of going out for drinks really isn't about the drinks but enjoying the people you are with Can yo o this without drinking?   Please be careful

Barbscloud

You've gotten lots of advice, what did you decide to do?

Barb

0 Kudos