cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Peddler

Dont understand?

Hello everyone!  I have a quick question.  I am on day 151 without a smoke.  The longest I've been in 34 years.  Now the question I have is this. When will i start feeling better?  Since I quit smoking I just dont feel that great. I had more energy and drive when I was smoking.  I know that probably dont make any sense to you but it's the truth.  My cravings are down to just one or two a week and they are very mild.  It's just the way I feel. Even my family says they think I felt better when I smoked. 

17 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I would have your doctor check you out.  A few here have found thyroid issues after they quit.  If not, there may be something else going on; not everything can be attributed to smoking or quitting!

Hope you get it figured out and start to feel more like yourself again.

Remember, though - that smoking is NEVER the answer - no matter the question!

Congratulations on 151 days, almost to half a YEAR!!!!

avian3

I agree you should consult your doctor. Your body changes once the nicotine has been out of your body and meds need to be changed. My first year of quitting I was a total hypochondriac and scheduled an appoint with my doc every 6 weeks to find out if my ailments were due to quitting, rashes, hiccups, hair color change, hives, runny nose. I actually think she found it amusing after awhile.

Also it took me a lot more than 151 days to feel "normal"  It was a roller coaster of emotions. There were days when I felt a euphoric feeling and immediately the following day I wanted to slap someone if they looked at me the the wrong way.

maryfreecig

Talking to your Doc is number one to put on your to do list regarding this issue. 

I began to feel better after I fully got over the dependency. That took time. I remembered smoking for a long time. I remembered my smoking life of decades and decades. And I felt unable to feel comfortable not smoking. What I didn't remember when I first quit was all the coughing and hacking I did. All the phlegm I coughed up. The weird congestion in winter. The wheezing to by breath. The ever present toxic taste in my mouth, and grease/smoke coated face. The dark tar stains on my teeth. The need to have a cigarette in the middle of the night. The need to have a cigarette first thing out of bed. The wish to quit accompanied by absolute apathy. My tragic runs to the store to get $45 Ace cigarettes, so much cheaper than the national average. Those were my real problems, not quitting.

You weren't better off as a smoker. It doesn't work that way. But your Doc might help you get to the bottom of this. Keep coming back to Ex, share your experience, comment, read and learn as much as can.

ClearColors

I had a host of ills for a while.

My body was readjusting, it takes time.  Our bodies readjust.

How long did you smoke for?  It takes a while to get back to normal.  Be patient with yourself.  You will get your energy back.  I also think, when we start our quit, there is an excitement.  Then maintenance sets in and it's about learning to use your quit muscles.

This may help somewhat:

Benefits of Quitting Smoking Over Time

chances of getting cancer and other diseases.

Within minutes of smoking your last cigarette, your body begins to recover:

20 minutes after quitting

Your heart rate and blood pressure drop.

12 hours after quitting

The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.

2 weeks to 3 months after quitting

Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.

1 to 9 months after quitting

Coughing and shortness of breath decrease. Tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs (called cilia) start to regain normal function in your lungs, increasing their ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.

1 year after quitting

The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of someone who still smokes. Your heart attack risk drops dramatically.

5 years after quitting

Your risk of cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus, and bladder is cut in half. Cervical cancer risk falls to that of a non-smoker. Your stroke risk can fall to that of a non-smoker after 2 to 5 years.

10 years after quitting

Your risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of a person who is still smoking. Your risk of cancer of the larynx (voice box) and pancreas decreases.

15 years after quitting

Your risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker’s.

These are just a few of the benefits of quitting smoking for good. Quitting smoking lowers your risk of diabetes, lets blood vessels work better, and helps your heart and lungs.

Life expectancy for smokers is at least 10 years shorter than that of non-smokers. Quitting smoking before the age of 40 reduces the risk of dying from smoking-related disease by about 90%.

Quitting while you're younger will reduce your health risks more, but quitting at any age can give back years of life that would be lost by continuing to smoke.

Are there benefits of quitting that I’ll notice right away?

Kicking the tobacco habit offers some rewards that you’ll notice right away and some that will show up over time.

Right away you’ll save the money you spent on tobacco! And here are just a few other benefits you may notice:

• Food tastes better.
  • Your sense of smell returns to normal.
  • Your breath, hair, and clothes smell better.
  • Your teeth and fingernails stop yellowing.
  • Ordinary activities leave you less out of breath (for example, climbing stairs or light housework).
  • You can be in smoke-free buildings without having to go outside to smoke.

Quitting also helps stop the damaging effects of tobacco on how you look, including premature wrinkling of your skin, gum disease, and tooth loss.

ClearColors

~Not fair, I am unable to  fix my typo: body's to bodies.  ~

sweetplt

I agree with those who told you to check with your Doctor....from time to time we see this and often it is the thyroid...better to be safe then sorry...do us a favor and let us know how you are doing...Peddler Gotcha in my Thoughts....~ Colleen 368 DOF 

sweetplt

You can fix ClearColors but you can never fix under checking your inbox...go to original post on front of page and at bottom of the body of your response it will say actions...click and you can edit or delete....edit and make your change...let me know if this doesn’t work for you...

ClearColors

sweetplt

Thank you for trying to help regarding editing my comment to this post.

You said: "You can fix ClearColors but you can never fix under checking your inbox...go to original post on front of page and at bottom of the body of your response it will say actions...click and you can edit or delete....edit and make your change...let me know if this doesn’t work for you..."

- When I click on the word "Actions " under my comment in this post , it says "No actions are available"

- Hi sweetplt, you wrote "go to original post on front of page"... I don't know what that means

Thank you but unfortunately, I am unable to see where I can edit my comment here

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Try this ClearColors 

go up to this page and click on home

when you get to home page click on post “Don’t understand”

Go to your reply and actions will give you edit and delete...