cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Does this program work?

I have been thinking alot about quitting and last night even decided I was going to do it today.  I smoked my last cig last night but when I got up this morning I failed and smoked.  then felt guilty and put a patch on but got irratable.  I found this program online and decided maybe it would be better to go thru an actual program then to try to just do it alone.  Does this program work?

27 Replies
prjimm01

back at you buddy!

MarilynH

Have a great evening prjimm01 .....

0 Kudos
Sootie

Hello---I don't know if you are still here and have still decided to quit but I will tell you this (and hope you see it)

I will be quit for 8 years in November 2017. I would say much of the reason that I am approaching 8 years is due to this site.

But, when someone says....does this program work....I have to add........IT WORKS IF YOU WORK IT! Nothing can quit smoking for you.....YOU need to do it. we will support you all the way, NRT's can sometimes be an AIDE....but only an AIDE.....the work is yours to do.

I will say that if you quit it will be one of the best decisions you ever make.....so I hope that you quit.ex1 (1).jpg

0 Kudos
samantha67

I don't think I could have quit without this site... the knowledge and support is like nothing else I had found. I had attempted to quit so many times and I was so frustrated at myself! The support and advice is really great here...the Allen Carr book was also a key tool in my quit. Let me know if I can help!!

NewMe

A lot of what I was going to say (and more) is already posted above. I will say that I know for a fact that I never would have made it to where I am today without the information, support, resources, tips and yes, love that is here for the taking from the Ex community. I am logging in with about a year and 9 months quit at this time. Was it easy? I'm not going to lie to you: I struggled a lot in the beginning. And without the support and knowledge you gain by reading the recommended materials here, I absolutely know I would have caved in the first few months. So read up on the addiction. Do come here and blog if you have any questions or moments of feeling vulnerable. And if you use the word "help" in your blog title, people will come around so fast to offer advice, it will make your head spin. Welcome to the community! I believe there is no better method to quit and stay quit than you will find here.

0 Kudos
elvan

I tracked my cigarettes and identified my triggers, I planned for what to do instead of smoking when those triggers happened...they WILL happen.  I read "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking."  I did not find it easy but I did get a few things from the book that helped me to stay with my quit.  I had many failed quits but this site gave me what I needed to stay quit, education, support, a place to come to read what others were doing.  This is an addiction and it has to be treated as such, we have to work at staying quit, just like any other addict.  It is a journey and not an event.  One day at a time, one minute at a time when a day is too long.  Smoking will do nothing FOR you, it will do lots TO you!  It will not take away pain or stress or anger or depression, the addiction will lie to you, it will not take away ANYTHING except your health.

Welcome to EX, it works if YOU work it!

Ellen

I've been quit for close to 500 days, a year and 4 months or so.  I smoked for 43 years with no real period of time being quit at all.  What worked for me is that I tracked my cigarettes, kept a journal of when I found myself wanting to smoke and what was going on around me, either I was hungry, tired, angry, frustrated.  You'll have your own personal list.  I totally quit drinking when I quit because that was my biggest trigger.  Once you become aware that there is no special time where suddenly the thought of smoking or even the urge of smoking just disappears, because it doesn't.  You just learn to deal with it different and deal with life in general differently.  We are a unique breed.  We're not the weekend warrior who only smokes on the weekend.  We are dependent on it.  like potato chips, one is never enough.  Hop on my profile, page, and click around and read some blogs.  Snoop around and read other peoples' pages.  Take a look at some of the groups they have here, there is https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters?sr=search&searchId=cee2c45e-bab5-4433-a975...‌, https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/relapse-preventionhttps://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/general-supporthttps://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/celebrating-milestones?sr=search&searchId=292c4f83-a7e3-45...‌, just to give a few.  there's some blogs or what I call them articles that members have written throughout the years.  And yes, this plan definitely does work

0 Kudos
wianno9616

YES it definitely works, but you must be in the right mindset, and ready to quit. Educate yourself through reading articles. Find out what you do when you have an urge or craving...WAIT.30 seconds....urge will go away. Stay away from your triggers that want you to smoke. Many of us have been successful on this website, and you can too!!! Good luck, it gets easier every day. Stick with it ,you will be thankful that you did. Remember NOPE-not one puff ever!!!! put on your fridge:)

0 Kudos