cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BabyD18

Does Vaping help with not wanting a cigarette?

Does anyone here Vape? And how much does it help with not wanting a cigarette?

Labels (1)
66 Replies
Giulia

I don't know, I've never vaped.  But my logical brain agrees with those above who think that because it so mimics the activity one is trying to overcome, that it is simply a substitute slavery and I've heard that there are those who return to smoking after having vaped.

Here's a vaping comment I found really interesting in a vaping forum (   https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/people-over-at-qsmb-are-actually-decent-folk.312662/ )

"I appreciate their concerns that vaping is behaviorally very similar to smoking, and may prevent some people from breaking that hand to mouth habit. This is a valid concern if you are a person who wants to end all nicotine and smoking-like dependence. "   "..." vaping could be used very similarly to other NRT products, with even more control over nicotine levels, allowing someone to break the nicotine dependence separately from the hand to mouth behavioral habits. It's possible that breaking one habit first, then working on the other could be very effective to many smokers. And at least they don't have to be slowly killing themselves with tar and carcinogens in the meantime.

There are a couple of telling telling threads over there, where the vocal opponents are very honest about why they hate e-cigs. For at least a few of them it seems to be because they are tempted by them. They are tempted to try them, but scared of being sucked back into smoking. I can understand that fear (although it hasn't been the case for me at all), whether that fear should trump all logic regarding harm reduction is dubious to me though."  (Spazmelda Vaping Master)

intervention

To answer your question: yes!    Not as quick or as simple as lighting a cigarette, but it certainly has done the job for me and for millions of others who have quit smoking thru vaping. Imagine all the nicotine (fairly harmless unless you are pregnant or have a heart condition) delivered in a way that is 95-99% safer than smoking. The science overwhelmingly supports vaping as an "evidence-based" tool for smoking cessation. It is one of many tools in the quit-smoking toolbox; hope you find whatever one works for you.

BTW, unlike smoking, vaping does not meet American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) criteria for addiction. The hand-to-mouth motion is one of the reasons why it is so effective. 

The tobacco and pharmaceutical industries are losing lots of money because of vaping, so watch out for their junk-science attempts to slam vaping. The overwhelming science supports vaping as one of the tools. Total abstinence is best, but whatever gets you off the stinkies....

95-99%  Show me that study please

Start There? It's Three Years Old. Nothing Newer?

How about the middle schoolers with sores in their mouths from vaping

Never heard of a cigarette blowing up in someones face or in their pocket, have you?

Let's face it, vaping is for people who still want to smoke

Tell us what it does to the tissues in the mouth.

intervention

Yes, I still want to smoke, as I am sure most people here do too. I quit because it was killing me, and I now spend a lot of time helping others to do the same. God willing, at 11:55 am tomorrow PST it will be 8 years since I had a cigarette.

Lithium-ion batteries are dangerous whether they are in a laptop, cellphone, or ecig. Some people foolishly bypass safety features and pay the price. I use an ecig with built-in safety features, and encourage my clients to do the same. Ecigs and Iphones have the same death rate.

Nobody wants kids to smoke or vape.I fully support efforts to stop kids from vaping while still allowing adults access.

Here is a cardiologist who actually does scientific research instead of using junk science and politics: E-cigarette Research 

So after 8 years of not smoking I am happy, joyous and free; hope you can be happy for me even tho I choose a different way than you.