cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

desiree465

Do you like when the dental hygienist makes small talk with you?

So I need some opinions. I'm pursuing a career in dental hygiene. Yesterday I had my teeth cleaned and the dental hygienist talked so much that it took her over an hour to clean my teeth, I promise you my teeth don't warrant that kind of time. She kept asking me questions (non-dental related), pulling the instruments out of my mouth while she finished a thought. A total nightmare for someone who gets nervous in that chair like me. This has happened to me more then it hasn't. So the question is do people like when the hygienist makes small talk with them like that. I can't imagine any other reason for them doing this other than it's what's expected of them. I wanna know what people think because I want to do right by my future patients. If it's small talk you want I'll give it but I just don't see that being the case. 

I know it's not a question about smoking, but as former smokers I can imagine we all get nervous about our dental health and don't want the experience prolonged any further than it has to be........or maybe some of you do. Opinions please!

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Mandolinrain

Just play dead.....lol....kidding of course. You could always take iPod and tell her your just wanting to relax and to give you a tap on the should if she has a question. Thats what I do and it works fine

0 Kudos
desiree465

Lmao no I like the playing dead scenario I'll try that first. 

Mandolinrain

baaaahahhahahahaaaaa

GyorgyiM

No

0 Kudos
elvan

I had a hygienist once who made me laugh the entire time she cleaned my teeth and the dentist was even funnier...I told them they should take their act on the road.  Normally, I don't care...I don't like it when I have a mouth filled with instruments and THEN they ask me questions that they KNOW I cannot answer comfortably, if at all.

alysonoholic

I got a deep cleaning recently and by the time I left I knew where the DH used to live, that her father died recently, how many kids she had, her grandkids names and that they liked skiing and that she was going to a Brooks & Dunn concert in Vegas in a few weeks. It was a bit much. Light small talk is good but once the tools are in my mouth anything that can't be answered with a grunt "yes or no" is a bit ridiculous. 

desiree465

I feel the same way. If I can't respond to someone and they know it, isn't it kinda like holding a person hostage to your thoughts. I'm also against prolonging the visit for side conversations. Nervous or not nobody wants to sit there longer then they have to. It's just that so many of my hygienists have done this I cannot come up with a reason as to why they do it, other than they think we like it.