cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ClearColors

Do you consider this a life long addiction?

Do you consider this a life long addiction?  I would appreciate your help; what is your opinion please?

I believe this is a life long addiction. Today, someone said to me, this is not a life long addiction and wanted my reference for saying it is a life long addiction.

I have read my brain was forever altered and I know I am one smoke away. 

But I am at a loss at the moment for a reference.   Could you suggest a reference on it?

Thank you much.

Nancy

to life~

26 Replies
constanceclum

I look at it like being in remission.

maryfreecig

This is a lifelong recovery for me.

WaynenMary

For me ClearColors   and I know I can speak for Wayne is we are addicts, and as  you said living a life one day at a time as a non smoker is how its done. Wayne put the drink down 20 years ago, and when he did, his smoking doubled. My father put down the drink and went straight to gambling. I guess my point is once an addict always an addict, buy you don't have to let that addict rule your life. I am also here to help keep my quit, and to help and encourage others. Great post my friend

Gwenivere

I wil always be a recovering addict.  Even tho I don’t want a cigarette anymore, I know I could go back to it if I started again.  It still enters my mind at tough or boring times.  I know people that have tried to smoke and can’t.  Wish I had been one that my body rejected it.  But no such luck.  Someone said remission, that about sum it up.  Have  to keep a vigilant eye on my addictive personality.  Had toddonthat with another drug so I know it’s a part of me.

Once an Addict, Always an Addict | Psychology Today 

I am an Addict with 9+ Years of smobriety. I'm also a puff away from a pack a day. That doesn't mean I live in the torture of withdrawal. If fact I rarely face my addiction as a craving. I simply live my Life with a new sense of self-love and respect. 

Image result for affirmations for self confidence

Yes, I feel strongly that this is a life long addiction, even after almost 13 years smokefree, I have to keep in mind that not one puff ever. 

Great post ClearColors!!

MarilynH

I also agree this is a lifelong addiction but we can and will enjoy our Forever Quits we just need to remember and N.E.F - Never Ever Forget that horrid DAY ONE or those early days and weeks of quitting smoking sticking with vigilance while living our Smokefree Life is absolutely awesome.  Freedom Rocks.....

elvan

I agree that it is a lifelong addiction, I would not have a record of failed quits that is as long as Santa's Naughty List if I did not get pulled back repeatedly.  People who don't think it is a lifelong addiction don't recognize it as an addiction. They probably don't recognize the importance of NOPE either.

Ellen

jrgar1

The dis-ease of addiction has many faces and forms. All are not pretty and will lie and convince you to make you think you don't have it. A puff away from a pack a day! The hard fact IS we are forever addicts. If we use or seek recovery no matter what our drug or addiction using our drug lights up not only the physical aspects but wakes up the mental and emotional cravings that carry us to another vicious cycle. Not only physical withdrawal but the abstract pain of the guilt, remorse and regret of using again. There are some studies that suggest we can become addicted to people and places, even our feelings, emotions and negative behaviors. There is much hope and success in a resolve and sincere willingness to seek recovery and solution to any addiction. We cannot do this alone!  Reach out for help and help people like ourselves who seek recovery and a sense of peace and purpose for life. 12 Step recovery programs have proven to be a successful solution in dealing with the physical, mental emotional and spiritual aspects of addiction. My recovery journey is a testament of 7 yrs. nicotine free. This new year will celebrate 24 yrs. clean and sober. Being helped and helping others in a recovery program. Never Quit Quitting! N.O.P.E. O.D.A.T.

Peace and Blessings to all for the Holidays and New Year! 

JRGAR

YoungAtHeart

jrgar1 

Good to see you!  Hope you are well.  HAPPY to know you are still smoke free!

Nancy

0 Kudos