cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Do You Remember?

Sneaking out of church to have a cigarette?

Going outside to have a smoke after your son or daughter was born?

Leaving your table and company in a restaurant to go outside and smoke before the meal was over?

Oh, I almost forgot,

What about when someone close to you died?

When your son or daughter graduated?

Control
Control
Control.

And, we didn't even realize it!!!

WE LIVED TO SMOKE!!!
0 Kudos
56 Replies
nan7

Thank you, Jen-X, I do understand what you are saying. I have experienced the same thing.

I DID NOT say that smokers don't smell. For that matter, we all know that smoking causes many undesirable physical characteristics.

My point was that her "NOTICE TO SMOKERS - You smell terrible" was a rude introduction to new people on this site.

Put-downs to people who are trying to change a behavior is seldom an effective motivator.

Their personal attacks, and one-upsmanship, in no way changes the point I was making.

Thanks again
0 Kudos
jen-x

Point well taken, however, I don't see how an off-handed comment stuck in the depths of a light-hearted discussion is a put-down to a new member. This can be a tough way to hold a discussion. It is easy for misinterpertation.
0 Kudos
charon2

Dang, I read your comment early today before this explosion of replies... I actually found your comment to be hilarious, because I used to do that. I would think I smelled fine after I sprayed myself down with perfume. I would chain smoke in my car on the way to my mom and dad's house, and then spray myself with perfume. Who did I think I was fooling?? Don't worry, I think many more people identified with your comment, and actually found it to be comical.
0 Kudos
charon2

My husband went to the doctor with bronchitis and a sinus infection about six months ago. The doctor asked if he was a smoker, and he said that he smoked occasionally, which was true. He never smoked as heavily as I did. The doctor proceeded to blame his illness entirely on the fact that he was a smoker. This was funny because I never got whatever he had, and I smoked WAY more than him. The doctor, after scolding my husband and dismissing the fact that he had a credible sickness, left the room without so much as saying goodbye. I understand that smoking is one of the dumbest things you can do, but some doctors are just plain jerks.
0 Kudos
charon2

I know about the "not smoking nose can still smell it a mile away thing." I tried to convince a friend the other day that if she smoked in a garage, that smell lingered there. She thought that if you opened the door, the smoke went outside, and the garage wouldn't smell at all. It wouldn't smell to a smoker. But to a non-smoker...... that garage is gonna stink for a few months after just a couple cigarettes.

I never smoked in my car except on "special occasions," AKA, stressful situations. I maybe smoked in there 4 or 5 times tops, and I've had this car for almost 4 years. Now that I quit smoking, you can faintly smell cigarettes in there. It might also be the fact that I would hop in there all the time reeking like smoke.
0 Kudos
robin18

I remember about 10 years ago I had to go to the Dr for a normal check up. Well that Dr who I still see today when he is in town, walked into the exam room with another soon to be Dr that is still there to this day also, made a comment. At the time I was so upset by what the first Dr said I changed Dr for about the last 9 years. What he said was " this one is a smoker did you smell if from the hallway and now our exam room smells horrible" I was so upset and thought how dare him to say such a thing and to make sure that I heard it. Well now that I am 117 days smoke free and can smell the smoke a mile away I understand why he said what he said. I have now changed my Dr back to him and he was very glad I quit. My husband still smokes although he has cut way down since I quit when he walks in the door after work I smell it right away. In the past when I smoked I could not smell it. It does smell terrible and I agree with Kozmik comment. I just can not believe that I smelled that bad for so long.
0 Kudos
rj_

I rememeber walking along the road at 10 picking up butts to smoke,
I remember at 13 saving my lunch money for three days while going hungry to buy a pack (.80)
I remember at 16 spending 10.00 out of my 50.00 a week salary to support my smoking.
I remember going two days of withdrawl in boot camp before the DI said smokers fall out to the smokeing pit, and suffening withdrawl daily for the next 6 weeks for a couple smoke pit calls each day.
I remember after getting married we lived on mac and cheese, and beans and corn bread and never going without cigarettes,
I remember increasing my use to 4 packs a day,
I remember scrimping and paying every bill and spending my last penny on a pack and rationing them for three days till payday.
I remember seeing my mom for the first time in 8 years and the first thing she said was You Stink.
I remember my grandfather eaten up with cancer on his deathbed motioning for a cigarette,
I remember drying out the last 4 in my pack that had been saturated with sweat while in my pocket during a long swat operation so I could get a fix cause I left home at 3 am without my back up pack.
I remember daily loss of self esteem of the killed pause.
I remember daily the depth of the grip of this addiction.
I also remember to celebrate daily my Freedom from this lest I fail again.
Live Free ...NTAP
0 Kudos
rachel17

I was one of those closet smokers dousing myself in perfume, washing my hands right after and constantly with a piece of gum. I realize now that I was fooling no one but at the time I really thought this hid the offensive odor. Now I watch the others at work come in and spray themselves down I have to laugh just a little cause some of them smell even worse like if you sprayed perfume in an overflowing stale ashtray does that really smell good. I love the way that my perfume smells now that it's my only scent.
0 Kudos
rj_

Oh yea, it will come, trust me I can no longer stand the smell of a smoker, kinda like the overflowing ashtrays that had not been emptied.
0 Kudos
amanda57

Nancy--

I think sometimes we read too much into things people do and say. I believe the whole 'smokers stink' convo was from a post i made much earlier talking about how i can't believe how badly i used to stink!! (Very recent for me i only quit 8 days ago) New or old stale cigarette smoke on a person is a repugnant and horrible smell and offended or not, doesn't change that fact. I am also pregnant so the smell of smoke is EXTRA offensive to my sensitive nose....it will in fact make me VOMIT if it is too strong around me. We all use different avenues to share and deal with our addictions and humor is definitely a part of that. Always keep that in mind when reading posts on here, nine times out of ten it's all in good fun. I highly doubt anything that kozmik said was so rude it would have run off a newcomer or made anyone feel uncomforatable. Quite the contrary the way you jumped down her throat about it makes me more uncomforatable (and prob newbies as well) than the original statement she made.
0 Kudos