cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dan-kase

Discussion Title Here

My quit date is Jan 17 when I turn 25. I haven't told anyone close to me so this is just between us, ok? There are many reasons, one of them is that I'd like to function throughout the day without smoking, lose weight, spend money on things that last longer, have a gym membership and take my girl out more often.. I'm definitely not a chain smoker and since purchasing a brand new car I made a pledge to never smoke in it, which I've kept for the 6 months that I've owned it so far. I want to quit on my own, I don't want to feel like it's being forced upon me. Anything I do in life, if someone tells me to do it, it'll never get done. My gf doesn't smoke and is allergic to the additives in them so if I quit I'll be around a non-smoker. brb gotta go smoke. Ok back smoked half a cig. I've resorted to smoking half cigarettes for the past 3 weeks to kinda cut back. Anyway there's many reasons why I'd love to quit. Seems like this site is a good place to start.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
dan15

I wish you the best of luck. I can understand not wanting to tell other people of you plan to quit. I didn't tell my friends and family either. I was afraid that I would fail, and I would feel worse if everybody knew I was trying to quit. I also didn't want a lot of attention focused on me, because that would just make me feel more like smoking.

Anyway, I'm not an expert on quitting...I have only been smoke-free for five days so far, but I do have a suggestion of something you might try. Take a drinking straw and cut it to the length of a cigarette. Carry it with you, and when a craving hits you, inhale deeply through the straw. For me it eases the craving. I'm sure that simple deep breathing would do the same thing, but having the straw also satisfies the hand/mouth habit of smoking. I even left the paper on my straw so it felt more like a cigarette. Just a thought. Again, I wish you success in quitting!
0 Kudos
a.d.

Hey Dan K, good luck. I relate to a lot of the stuff you said, except my gf is a smoker. I haven't really shared this with anyone besides her so far. I certainly have an obstinate streak in me as well.

Other Dan, that is an interesting suggestion. I will try that after I quit. Sounds silly but I can see how it might help that oral fixation/ automatic reaching out for the cigarette.
0 Kudos
edith2

You've got alot of great reasons to quit. Let them motivate you and focus all all the good things you want. You can always change your quit date too. Don't wait too long and let your addiction change your mind about quitting.
0 Kudos
dan15

OK here's another idea. I looked at somebody else's page and they had their top ten reasons to quit smoking. You can probably think of many more than ten. Of course you've already got a start with the reasons you listed here.

Anyway, the idea is write down your list of reasons not to smoke...as many as you can think of. Then if a strong craving hits after your quit date, promise yourself (and stick to it) that you will read every reason you have listed before lighting a cigarette. It might even help to read them out loud.

Look forward to your quit date with anticipation, not with dread. It's not easy, but you can do it!
0 Kudos
les

Sounds like you are on the right track. You are dealing with triggers now, like smoking when you drive, and you are cutting back to half a cig. Keep doing what you are doing, and look forward to the quit. It is so wonderful to have it behind you!
0 Kudos