cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Arwen

Didn't Make it!

I came on this site yesterday and lasted 7 hours without a cigarette! Got thru several cravings and then lost it! ARRRGH! Any body else go thru this?

Tags (3)
22 Replies
maryfreecig

I had various reasons for wanting to quit smoking for decades but my shortest attempt lasted 9 hours. That was in 2009. I thought I was hopeless. 

I quit in 2013. And have stayed smober, but I planned for nearly three weeks. And once I quit, I kept looking for support (Become an Ex came later).

Don't give up, get educated about nicotine addiction and about quitting. 

Of course.  Many people here have.  Keep working at it.  Have you read the Allen Carr The Easy Way? I highly recommend it!

YoungAtHeart

Lots of folks here had failed attempts before their successful one.  I don't know if you have done the reading, preparation and planning for a successful quit.  Here is a blog with links to help you do all of that:  For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too). 

The better prepared you are, the better your result.  To begin, I highly recommend the book by Allen Carr.  Then - get your quit kit ready.  This should include a water bottle that you will keep with you at all times from which to sip. some sugar free gum or mints, a written list of reasons you are quitting, a written list of distracting activities you think will be helpful, maybe some straws cut in cigarette lengths, maybe some flavored toothpicks, a crossword or jigsaw puzzle, maybe a link to some funny videos, another link to a computer game.  This will become your go-to when you have a craving!

You CAN do this.  Don't let one bad day ruin your decision to quit.  Get to it!

Nancy

anaussiemom

Yes. 

I tell myself  each moment that is needed I can, I must, cigs are so yuck, taste bad, smell bad,  I  also Pray.

48944703_2018745261572980_1840859404388270080_n.jpg

Giulia

Many of us have gone through that.  Especially if we haven't educated ourselves about this addiction.  Quitting takes planning and perseverance.  Read as much as you can on here.  It will help you.

elvan

Many of us have been through this but the fact is that even if quitting is not easy, it is POSSIBLE and you can do it BEFORE you do irreversible damage to yourself.  Smoking does nothing FOR you...all that cigarette did, all ANY cigarettes do is to feed your addiction.  Education, support, and commitment are the keys to a successful quit.  Prepare...plan for things to do instead of smoking, make this site your new best friend and listen to advice that is given.  We all had to start at the beginning...every one of us.  We also all want you to succeed.  Some people use nicotine replacement, some quit cold (aka smart) turkey, some, like me, quit because they get so sick that they FINALLY face the fact that a slow suicide is not worth it.  Education, support, and commitment are your keys to a successful quit.  NOPE, Not One Puff Ever was my mantra, I got it from this site and it really did speak to me.  You CAN do this.  Stay close to the site, READ, see what is working for other people, COMMIT to your quit, it is the only way.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

MarilynH

Welcome to the community Arwen many of us have been where you are take a deep breath and stay close to this site and read everything you can about quitting smoking and remaining quit because there's a wealth of information to help strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT it's absolutely Doable and totally worth it so please do the reading pick your quit date and when your Day ONE arrives keep busy and at the end of the day you'll be able to look yourself in the mirror and say YAY for Day WON with many more to come you can do this quit believe it.....

SimplySheri

I think the most important thing here is you rather than who else lost their quit   Why did you smoke?  What happened?  Did you have a plan?  Do you understand addiction?  All these answers will assist you in having your forever quit!!  Remember, this truly is about you!  Keep your focus on what you need to do and ask for assistance when you need it.  We'll be here for you.

Strudel

But - you will make it! Please do the reading mentioned above. You can do this! How do I know? I came here after smoking for 40 years and I did it! That was over 8 years ago. I would start with the Carr book Young at Heart mentioned. That turned my thinking around. Stay close...read, read, read!