cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DEFJamBaby

Did you find the first week harder than any other time?

I guess every smoker that quits is scared of the terrible time he will have, when he quits.

I've only quit two days ago, but I'm still waiting for anything "bad" to happen. Like: freaking out, yelling at people, crying, or anything else that would demonstrate any form of withdrawl symptom.

The worst I had so far was a thought of "a cigarette would be nice now" along with a funny feeling in my tummy that quickly came and just as quickly dissapeard. Is that it?

I've prepared myself for a war with my inner demons and so far those demons have been whispers - if that.

26 Replies
DEFJamBaby

That's sort of where I am at! I'm still anticipating something to happen though. Anything really, which is dumb. I should just be happy that I'm doing as well as I currently am, I guess.

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

You are doing great DEFJamBaby I am proud of you and you have a good attitude! Keep moving forward and congratulations on 2 days! ~Terrie~

DEFJamBaby

Thank you so much! I'll keep on making us proud

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Very good! DEFJamBaby 

YoungAtHeart

I like the advice of taking it one day at a time,  Don't worry about what might be coming.  Do plan for a bit of difficulty - have a plan - but don't worry about it ahead of time.

Congrats on TWO days!

Nancy

I kept busy 10 hours a day for the first two weeks playing my guitar to anything my friend could put through the speakers without overplaying.

Working at not overplaying is a very focused activity even though you're having fun playing.

Plus, playing music or listening to it releases dopamine.

When you get the thought of smoking, laugh out loud and say "I don't do that anymore" so you hear it.

It will retrain the mind part of quitting.

DEFJamBaby

I just did that and it worked! Thank you for that advice!

0 Kudos
DEFJamBaby

I actually got back into gaming and also in my crafting. My apartment is a lot cleaner already. But I just feel like I have a lot more time. Or am I just keeping busy? Maybe it's both ^^

0 Kudos
tjanddj

I remember feeling a sense of panic just a few days before my quit. I was worried about what I was going to do to keep my hands busy enough without having to sit and crochet. I was remembering the difficult times I had in my attempted past quits. But this time I knew this wasn't about trying to quit I knew I was going to quit no matter how difficult it was going to be. I was on a health journey and quitting was very important to me even though at the time I thought I enjoyed smoking. But my journey wasn't about "enjoying" it was about my health. When I got into the panic mode I searched online for things to do while quitting and that is how I came upon the EX site and it change my whole attitude about quitting. I was reading through the blogs and it was recommended to read Allen Carr's book. I did and my attitude about my quit changed and what a wonderful journey this has been even with the life tragedies thrown at me. I never had the hell week or the heck week I never felt like I was going through some No Man's Land. My quit journey was a annoying discomfort that at some point become peaceful. My attitude change worked wonders for me. We all need to find our own way through our own quit journey but you will never have to do it alone Ex will always be here for you. Keep your good attitude and good forward!

0 Kudos