cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sarahmortimer

Desperate Q- I smoke juul in my sleep, please help

Help!! I got a sleep app- I wake up every 1-2 hours to take 2 puffs of my juul. This is scaring the pants off me. I’m desperate to stop and I truly don’t know how. Please answer, if anyone has gone through this or has any tips.. I’ll try anything

20 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Smoking all night is a tough one.  When you quit, though, you need to destroy ALL vaping pens/cartridges, etc., so when you reach for it, you will need to have something else there.  I might suggest a bottle of water from which to sip.  I would recommend a mint, but I am afraid it might present a choking hazard if you are still half asleep.  You might consider a Rx like Welbutrin  or Chantix to help you reduce the nicotine cravings.  The first couple of nights will probably be difficult, but if you make up your mind to get through the process and do whatever is necessary to quit, you CAN get past it.  When you stop feeding the beast, it will slowly start to recede. You might start out by slowly reducing the amount of nicotine in each cartridge, eventually going to zero before you quit.

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because it is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe vaping might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done! Read on to understand what happens when you take that hit that addicts you to nicotine. 

Considering vaping to be “safe” is far from a given - there is much research to be done. What we know is that vaping raises your blood pressure and spikes your adrenaline, which increases your heart rate and the likelihood of having a heart attack. There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term. Recently vaping has been in the headlines because of the possibility of it causing severe lung damage in young people. An August, 2019 study at the University of Pennsylvania showed that a single instance of vaping immediately lead to reduced vascular function: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190820101601.htm .  I am glad you have decided to seek our help to break free! It isn't easy – but it IS doable!

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You did not mention if you plan to use a quit aid, so I will give you my opinion on the options. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your desire to quit.   Educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create your quit plan.  These two steps lead to success.   Part of your plan is learning new behaviors and associations instead of smoking.  I understand this is going to be difficult for you when you're not taking much of a break from nicotine--not even during the night.  What else can you do instead when you wake up?   Keep something beside the bed--I liked chewing on straws.  Do some deep breathing or even get up and walk around.  Whatever works for you.

We're here for you and want you to be successful.  Just reach out if you need support.

Barb

Maki

I've never vaped  but think it would be the same as quitting smoking . Set your quit date , get rid of all vape products and ap for starters . Really ? An ap to wake one up to vape . 

Ya educate yourself on addiction and read up on tobacco company tactics that got us smoking . Vaping has the same trend and kids are attracted the same way we were . Interesting stuff . 

You can quit , write your reasons why . 

sarahmortimer

Hi!!

sorry, I downloaded a sleep app that indicated when I woke up and how long I was asleep for... I THOUGHT my smoking in my sleep was bad but thought I only did it like once a night... app has proved me that was a lie LOL

i wonder if I should just continue wearing the patch at night?

YoungAtHeart

You might try wearing the patch at night....see how it goes.  Some folks have problems with vivid dreams, some don't.  It won't hurt to try it.

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to Ex’s sarahmortimer ... You have received some great advice above me...do the work and educate yourself on being an addict...we are here to support you...above all, come here and let us help you...You can Quit...Gotcha so in my thoughts Colleen 543 DOF 

sarahmortimer

Thank you so much!! My brain is working extra hard to tell me I’ll stop losing weight if I stop smoking... after 5 years I have FINALLY made huge progress with my weight and now I’m terrified to re gain it. 

YoungAtHeart

Gaining a little of the weight back won't kill you.  Smoking WILL.  Just keep up the healthy eating habits you have established, and the few pounds you might gain will be easy to get back off when you have the extra time (and money for a gym or personal trainer) after you quit.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

sarahmortimer

Are you awake when you vape through the night or are you doing it in your sleep and you're not fully aware and the app is informing you that you've woken up in the middle of the night to vape?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team