cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nonsgm

Depression and anxiety

Wondering how everyone on here dealt with the depression and anxiety that comes with quitting smoking? meds? etc?

31 Replies
Showiestodin

I'm using breathing methods, sleep and exercise to keep an even balance. And plain ole distraction works well too. Drink a lot of water.

Keep up with it you can get through this, your stronger than you think, we all are. Best of luck.

So with Anxiety there are certain mind traps we can easily fall into:

Overgeneralizing

Magnifying

Worst Case Scenario

Personalizing

Externalizing

Mind Reading

Emotional Reasoning

These traps make us feel awful, change our physiology into fight/flight mode and freeze our ability to think clearly or make/keep decisions.

First, identify the trap. Do you think that every day is bad? ....that cravings last forever?..."I'll never relax again"?

Second, ask yourself: why is this trap damaging you? "When I overgeneralize I can't act the way I want to act!"

Third, is it true? Look for words like every, always, never, forever.... Challenge your thought with a positive thought:

"Every day is bad."

Challenge thought: "Right now I'm depressed but soon I will feel better whether I worry or not and I am resourceful enough to get through this time. Smoking can only make my depression worse, last longer, and feel even more intense! By protecting my Quit I am growing my sense of control and self confidence and making a new better future for myself." Draw yourself a positive mental picture of what that will be like.

I hope this will help you!

12Finally34

Thanks Thomas!  

I pledge today and I have 50 hours 36 minutes free of nicotine.

The days were handled by using the 101 things to do list and using  Carr's self talk about cigarette.  Whenever, I thought cigarettes, my tape sound like this:  "Yeah one puff leaves me back to 1000 puff, poor health, bad smells, lost of income, and back to isolation."  It worked.   As I was enjoying myself, I would look over at the smoker's section and Carr's statement not to envy but pity the smoker would make it a glance rather than yearning to be with the smokers. 

Your blog helped with my experience last night.  Last night, I experienced a wicked craving.  I woke up to the taste and smell of nicotine.  My reflex was to reach for a cigarette.  I was disoriented for a few minutes.

This morning when I woke, I was feeling agitated, anxiety and frustrated.  To handle the frustration, I walked for 10 minutes and stayed in gratitude for not doing the first puff.  I could not shake the agitation and anxiety,  I  magnified everything: having my dream, being disoriented, tasting and smelling the nicotine.  I was overgeneralizing my withdrawals and comparing.  

You helped me to turn off that fight or flight mode.  Your suggestions were right on time.  Secretly, I wanted my high power to give me instant gratification and success instead I am going through the process of being an Ex smoker one step at a time.

Feels like I am writing a novel, I don't have another nicotine meeting until Monday. I hate this feeling of generalized anxiety.  

12Finally34

0 Kudos
LanaKay

It has been over a year since I quit. I now have an ulcer and am taking meds for that. My anxiety has been very high. I am still working part time. I am excersizing. I wake up feeling sick every morning. I have been to doctors more in the last year than I ever have been in my life. I am at wits end as to what to do. I am not sleeping well and then wake up at 4 am. I now have made an appointment with a psychiatrist. I have tried everything I know to do. I have no desire to smoke. I just want to feel better. 

0 Kudos
elvan

LanaKay‌ Certainly you are not connecting your anxiety and health issues to quitting smoking.  I have struggled with ulcers on and off since I was in my early 20's and smoking, they were so severe that I, too, would awaken at 4:00AM and vomit undigested food mixed with blood, they took forever to heal because I kept smoking.  My anxiety level was through the roof.  Have you considered meditation?  A psychiatrist is hopefully going to have answers for you, I so hope that you find some resolution.  

Thinking of you.

Ellen

0 Kudos
LanaKay

Thank you for the reply. No, I have no desire to smoke again. I haven't even wanted to to. I guess I just needed to vent. I haven't had any health issues before. I have been very fortunate. Now I'm 70 years old and I guess it's just coming as a surprise that I can not feel good. My anxiety has flared now and again since menopause. It's just worse right now. I guess I'm just venting.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
elvan

LanaKay‌ I hope you can get things settled down.  I went on a hormone replacement drug until I realized that it caused so many other issues but it sure did lift my spirits when I was on it.  There are just too many risks.  Can you cut down on working, take some more care of yourself?  

PLEASE vent away, I just needed to be sure that you did not think all of your issues were a result of quitting smoking.  That would be so sad.  I so hope that you feel better.

Best,

Ellen

0 Kudos
LanaKay

I am just working part time now. Actually I feel better when I'm busy. When I have too much time on my hands the anxiety kicks in. I've always been kind of a worrier but now it seems worse. I'm working on it. If my stomach just gets to feeling better it will help a lot. Thank you for listening.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
elvan

ANY time...you can PM me if you want and I will gladly give you my email address.

Ellen

0 Kudos
EleanorRigby

Non smokers brains produce neurochemicals that help us with the feeling of well being, joy, contentment.. etc.  When we smoke the brain often times shuts down the production of these neurochemicals and it can take months for it to produce again, I have heard maybe sometimes it never does come back.  I smoked 50 years, have been quit 401 days and now take anxiety/depression meds.  I am hoping to wean off of them but I am a little hesitant as I have been feeling much better.  I did a lot of research on the smokers brain chemistry and just learning about it made me feel better.  I also upped my vitamins and B-12 complex.  The B-12 has helped a lot.  I tried other more natural things than an RX from my doc but decided I needed to protect my quit more than to fool around with experimenting.