cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

NateinCO

Depression after 30 days? Am I crazy?

Hello everyone, I didn’t know where else to go, it seems like a lot of people in my local environment can’t really relate to what I’m going through so I was hoping to find some support or advice here. 

I must first admit admit that I was not a smoker but rather used smokeless tobacco (about one can per day) so hopefully I don’t offend anyone for being here.  I quit cold turkey on July 12 this year and it’s been 35 days, overall I feel pretty good, any anger and aggression I was feeling at first has gone away however the past couple weeks I feel a depression and anxiety where I take things personal or too seriously (which is not like me at all).  Some days I am fine and everything is okay and other days I don’t feel good about myself and really don’t want to interact with anyone.  While I assume this is some sort of depressive state caused by no longer using nicotine, everyone thinks that after a month I should be over it.  I just wanted to get some input from people that have actually gone through this process and figure out if I’m the crazy one or not.  Just to clarify, I do not feel like hurting myself or anyone else, I am just finding it hard to find joy in things and smile throughout the week which is something  I am not used to.

Thank you to anyone who listened to me ramble.

Nate

Tags (1)
14 Replies
Barbscloud

Lyles, please post to your own blog when you're feeling this way so others in the community will see it!  Sounds like there is a lot going on here and we're not professionals.  Being 22 days into your quit is great, but it is often very emotional.  I've experienced that myself.  Add to that being out of work, which can negatively impact your feelings of self-worth.  I'm concerned about your feelings of giving up on life.  You're being way to hard on yourself.   Please consider speaking with  a professional if these feelings continue.  

Barb

0 Kudos
NateinCO

Lvyles,

Please don’t give up hope, 22 days is an awesome achievement, I realize that your job search may be fueling some negative feelings that are also part of quitting. I hope tomorrow is better,

if you continue to feel this way please find someone to talk to, I’m sure you have a positive impact on the people in your life and they would not want to lose you. 

Daniela2016

Dear Lvyles‌, I am with Barb on this.  We've all been depressed at the beginning of our quits, but your depression seems to steam from more than one source, and the loss of your job weighs heavily in that.  A while after I quit (and have not lost my job at the same time), I fell into a very dark period, to the point I had to ask for help, and had to see a therapist, and went on short term disability.  No medical professionals were able to help me for a pretty long while, and I was getting worse every day.  Eventually I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's (autoimmune).

If I were you I would seek medical advice, at least eliminate all causes of depression, other than the quit. And if that is the case, reading about NML will help you understand the why.../blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

karenjones

Lvyles‌  eating up your savings??? Lucky you,  I have no savings,  supportive husband? Lucky you.  Quit smoking? smart, wise you!  From where I sit, you are doing great, give yourself a turn around.  Pat yourself on the back, 22 days is a great accomplishment, and think of the money you are saving by not buying cancer sticks.  Am I missing something here.  get a good sleep, eat lots of fruit and veg and count your blessings.  

YoungAtHeart

Talk to a professional, please.  Your feelings about being unemployed are exacerbating those from nicotine withdrawal.  It's a double whammy. 

Your husband has told you not to feel guilty ---- so please try not to.  YOU are what is important, not the money for trips.  You left your old job for good reason - and that can't be undone.  No more looking back and second guessing.  It serves no purpose.  The average length of unemployment in 2017 in the US was 25 weeks.  You are only at 8.  I hope you can take heart from that.

You are quitting smoking - and THAT is a wonderful accomplishment for which you should be proud. 

Nancy

0 Kudos