Give and get support around quitting

michael26

December Quitters

Hi! My quit date is Dec 1st. So any advice is welcome
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
407 Replies
bryan15

Im quitting my pack or more of smoking today.  Yesterday and today I have had half of a cig.  Thats really good considering I'm quitting cold turkey.  I've been smoking for 6 years, so wish me luck.  I will beat this!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
kat75

Hi all, Tonight ismy first night here.  Tomorrow is my quit smoking day, I ahve tried patches in the past but this time I am going to try some natural remedies.  I am going to get some herbs that are supposed to help with quitting smoking tomorrow at the health food store.  I want to wish everyone goodluck on their new journey of becoming an ex-smoker! ~Kat~

0 Kudos
krlefeld

Hello Everyone! My quit date was December 2nd. I wanted to have made it through at least a day before I surprised my husband on our anniversery (Dec.4) to say I was quitting! Happy to say I havn't had one puff. According to the quit smoking counter it has been 1 week 3 days 5 hours, and I have saved $27 so far. It felt really good to buy myself something the other day with my smoke money. It's also nice buying groceries etc. and knowing I don't need to make sure to leave enough in case I need more smokes! Feeling GREAT. Good luck everyone!

0 Kudos
none52

Dec 9,2010 was my quite date, no patches/ no gum just cold turkey. Starting to smoke was so easy, quitting is going to take every day commitment .

0 Kudos
mrmartin

Day 1 down... the coughing is very annoying, but I guess that's what it takes to cleanse the lungs after all these years.  Does anyone recommend anything other than a standard cough suppressant?

0 Kudos

I quit smoking on Dec 3rd at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota. 

0 Kudos
ana-h

It has been 5 days since a quit but I did have one on Monday after the doctor told me that I have to wear this walking cast for the next 3 weeks, not a good thing        

0 Kudos
emihun2

I feel like I'm always quitting smoking . . . sometimes I just do it while I'm drinking, sometimes just on the weekends. No matter where it starts I always end up back around half a pack a day. I've made a list of things to do instead of smoking so I figure my house should be pretty spotless and organized in no time lol Well, day number one, here's to making it stick this time 🙂

0 Kudos
readyfor40

Hello all- well I'm on day number 8 and haven't had one yet! I have made myself a deal to keep myself busy. For the person who asked about the cough suppresant- if you have a productive cough you may want to use a decongestant with an expectorant. When you smoke, the cilia that line the lungs get burned away and it's more difficult to cough out mucus. Sorry to get graphic, but there it is. I came from a large group of fellow smokers who are RNs as well. I know, a nurse who smoked.

But as we all know, nicotine is the most addictive substance on the planet. It's tough to quit! But, if you can get through the first 10 days or so without smoking, the nicotine gets out of your system. But man those brain receptors will be calling out for it, so have your plan of what to do in those difficult times! Being prepared is the best thing that's worked for me.

I bought a Nintendo DS to play video games to give my hands something to do. I've also decided not to drink any alcohol for the time being, since that makes me want to smoke too. The patches keep my brain calm.

It can happen my friends, it has nothing to do with how good your will power is or your inner strength. That's like saying someone who has anorexia nervosa has an over-developed sense of vanity. It's called addiction for a reason. I'm taking it one day at a time.

Good luck to everyone out there! BTW-I'm also saving about $25 a week not smoking!

0 Kudos
fleebs

Dec 17 is my quit day.  Just a few hours from now and I'm already starting to panic a bit.  I've been reading the forums and its a comfort to know that there is support out there.  In the past I've gone this route alone, no one I know smokes any more or ever did.  Its time to start saying goodbye to my 40 yr sidekick for good.  Good Luck to everyone!

0 Kudos