cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

WalterHeape12

Day 50 - Still feeling SO tired and uninspired

Hi,

I quit on Jan 1 after 39 years of smoking (cigarettes and then I transitioned to vaping for the last 7 years). An 80% blockage was discovered in my LAD artery last year and I had a stent placed Sept 22. The day before the surgery I started nicotine replacement therapy and did a very slow taper until December 31.

I was great the first couple of weeks, believe it or not. Full of energy, upbeat, etc. THEN the sleeplessness, lethargy, irritability, and mild depression started. I'm now at day 50 and I feel as if I'll never feel better. I am so tired all the time ... I struggle to get through my workouts every day, struggle to even WANT to work out. I have more sleepless nights than good ones. I just feel like a big negative, angry blob.

Is this normal? I've spoken with my cardiologist and they don't seem concerned about any issues there. I've read 3 months is a point where most people start to feel better, then six months. Any experience, strength, and hope from others surrounding this fatigue and general malaise?

Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex! It's normal for you! Sounds like you've taken action to address how you are feeling by joining this community. This matters a lot. Most of us were long time smokers and relearning life after smoking/vaping (nicotine addiction) can be challenging. It's doable and yes, you will feel better the longer you stay off nicotine. IMO it's important to work on smobriety/vapbriety--as nicotine addicts we repeated taking nicotine all day long. As we smober up we have to re-affirm quitting. There aren't too many who quit who were then suddenly converted to being nicotine free for good. Most of us have to practice our quititude. 

As a quitter, you might find it helpful to respond to blogs here--put your two cents worth in. Tell your story as you go. Just a thought. 

Bottom line: you are not crazy, you are hopelessly broken, you can do this, give it time, one day at a time.

Screenshot_20221025-074827.jpg

Barbscloud

@WalterHeape12 Welcome to the Ex.   50 days is a fabulous a achievement.  There is not magical number of days that quitters feel better. We're all different.  Just remember, you not only eliminated nicotine from your body, but a multitude of chemicals.  Be patient with yourself-you're body needs time to heal.

Many of us have found this helpful.    No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) - EX Community

Glad you found the site.  The support here is what many of us needed to maintain our quits.  Stay close and reach out anytime we can help. 

Barb

WalterHeape12

Thank you for that link. It was very helpful!

Kimshine

@WalterHeape12 last year I attempted a quit that lasted six months. I was sad, scared, icky life circumstances were crashing into me from all angles. I wasn't a happy quitter which made me feel bad because I felt like I was supposed to be happy since it was my decision to quit. I started smoking again. I believe it was in June after my dad decided to move in with me 2 days after telling me he was leaving his wife. 🤦🏼‍♀️

I'm already raising a grandchild so that sandwiched me between a lot of junk. I decided to quit my quit and I started smoking again. I smoked until January 12th of this year and although I am not jumping for joy and super happy that I have quit, I am not in the emotional state that I was last year. Carry on if you can, it only caused me a setback but I fell back to the comfort that I was used to and that was my cigarettes. I still don't know what my comfort is but I just keep telling myself that I don't smoke anymore. If you need help we are here. Just ask.