cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

EmSti7

Day 22 Cold Turkey

Hello everyone! 

I’m only joining this wonderful community today because I somehow managed to plough through the start on my own. I’ve had all sorts of problems with my digestive system and nausea, I’ve had sleepless nights and feelings of anxiety and depresssion and brain fog and headaches and my god it is overwhelming. My withdrawal symptoms got really bad in week 2. 

The brain fog lifted yesterday for the first time and I slept more soundly but still not as much as I would have liked. However, I woke up this morning feeling sick to my stomach with dread and feeling anxious in anticipation of what kind of horrors I’ll have to face today. I just need to hear that this is normal and that it will pass I guess. 

Please keep me strong everyone! 

Much love,

Emilia

25 Replies
Giulia

No horrors.  You found US!  That's the opposite of a horror!  The day's got to be better already, right?  Question - what's the horror that you thought you'd be facing?  Really?  The brain fog has lifted, you slept better.  Those are on the plus side, right?   Cravings won't kill you.  Although it may seem like they will at times!  lol  The symptoms you're going through WILL pass.  But only if you hang in long enough, because time is the only cure.  Put on your sense of humor hat.  It will help.  We tend to get totally myopic in the beginning of this journey and humor helps to create a distance and a new perspective.  Do something utterly silly.  Make yourself a funny hat, stick it on your head and look at yourself in the mirror.  As someone posted the other day, "you can't say the word bubbles angrilly."

There's a fear that you're holding onto.  Figure out what it is and then release it.   Symptoms don't get any worse than what you're currently experiencing.  So you can't be fearing that.  They won't last forever, so you can't be fearing that.  Perhaps you're afraid of who you'll be without a cigarette in hand?  And if you are afraid of THAT, well, those of us who have quit  can all attest to the fact that the new you will be a greatly improved model!  lol  

Big congratulations on the hard fought-for 22 days.  You've almost completed your first smoke-free month.  That's rather exciting!  Don't forget to keep breathing.  Long, slow deep breaths will help relax the tension and ease the nausea too, I would think.  

EmSti7

You’re absolutely right, now that I’ve found this community I don’t feel like any horrors will creep up. I’m actually fearful of every single thing you listed haha I know it’s irrational to be scared that they will get worse or never end but I have moments every day where I think that. A week ago the withdrawals were really scary and, like you said, cravings won’t kill you but sometimes it seems like they will. 

Today I finally began to laugh, just like you said, find the humour in the situation. Thank you so much for your kind and wise words. I’ve always been a panicky sort of person and it’s hard to deal with that without reaching for a cig but I’m doing it. Breathing definitely does help and everything else you said I will be taking on board.   

I really appreciate your support ❤️

0 Kudos
Bdwallhau

Hi, EmSti7‌! I'm so glad you found EX. I'm new here, pretty much. I'm on day 29 or 30 of my quit, but I used 2 nicotine lozenges a day in the beginning, just to take the edge off. You've gotten lots of great advice. The only thing I'd add is that I, too, am an anxious person, generally, and I've found meditation to be so crucial. I downloaded Calm, an Apple app, and started using its guided meditations. I'd never meditated before, but it worked wonders for me. It's a free app, although you have to pay to unlock some features. The free content was plenty for me   Best of luck to you! -- Dawn

Everything you described I would say what the others have said...NORMAL!!!! I don't know from 1 day to the next what to expect...I just try to go with the flow...Totally against the person I always was...Everything was planned...Not anymore!

For the 1st. time in my life, I feel a CALM INSIDE AND A PEACE I've never known.....

Good people here, lots of materials to help you on your journey....... I am also anxious..... I listen to soft music off the SPA channel of my TV at night. Sleep timer shuts it off in 2 hrs. Seems to help me settle down easier.  I'm proud of your Cold Turkey!   I wasn't confident enough to try that....I started with patches, but right now, it is just a pc. of nic-gum in a tough spot. I'm walking away from being a 45 yr. smoker. I don't remember life without cigarettes. Prairie 52 dof

elvan

Welcome to EX, Emilia, congratulations on 22 days of freedom all by yourself.  We are here, what you have already faced, many of us faced with the help and support of this amazing community.  I am really glad that you found us.  Education about nicotine addiction is HUGE and commitment and support are right there along with education.  Read and you will know what to expect and you will not feel alone on this journey.  It IS a journey, not an event and it is one day at a time, one event at a time.  We have to learn to deal with life without the drug called nicotine.  We have to learn to feel our feelings and not stuff them.  It all gets better and better and the fact that you have come this far, "cold" also known as SMART turkey...shows what an amazing person you are and how you are going to keep on going.  You are already a rock star.

Ellen

Lou18150

Wow! You’ve made it through the worst part —cold turkey & withounthus suppirt group?   That’s amazing!  You’ve got this!  Now it’s just committing to NOPE.  When the cravings come now — you know they won’t last long — there are tons of suggestions on this site for ways to get through the urges.  And everytime you make it past an urge ...you get get stronger!  So be proud of yourself ...and keep saying NOPE!