cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

AN-EX

Day 21

Today is my 21st day. I am experiencing stronger urges now then I did on day 14. Is anyone else having this problem? When do the cravings go away? I am on Chantix and it has been working great until now.... HELP!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cathi4

Are you speaking about short intermittent cravings that come and go but happen like once or twice per day? I wanted to respond to a call for help but I have no experience with Chantix since I did cold turkey. Cravings are or should be at that stage short, timeable periods lasting about 3 minutes or dropping on you from the blue( known as trigger moments)but still random not regular. Listen I was one of those that thought no one else was going through this like me or suffering. Eaxh quit is different but this I am certain of. The nicotine flushes in about three days. The 4000 chemicals about three weeks and what is left between is dealing with the addiction. The cravings, the urges although random, the emotions and inner dialogue that pushes you toward the nicotine. Regardless of with drugs or cold turkey. You gotta not smoke! Take it minute by minute if need be. Enough minutes later you will have 2 months today and be free enough not to allow cigs to define who you are!  PS--- Blog more details. It is not costing money per word!!!!!!

You can do this! If you have questions about the Chantix try www.webmd.com or bang down your docs door or service until those Rx questions are answered! But it is hard ,drugs or not but very well worth it!!!! Hang in there!

0 Kudos
AN-EX

Ok, When I first quit the cravings were bad, but managable. It seems like the longer i go without smoking, the worse the cravings get. I probably have one a hour and they are the cravings that make you want to cry. I don't believe it is the nicotine withdrawl or the addiction, I think it is the realization that I will not have that "crutch" to lean on. Does that make sense? Cathy, I believe that you hit it on the head with " inner dialogue". I am still not going to give in to the temptation, but I was trying to see if this is a normal stage to go through and how long before you wake up and know that you are not going to smoke ever and you are completly ok with that.

It sounds like you have been a nonsmoker for a while, just reassure me that "this too will pass" 🙂

"A HABIT CANNOT BE TOSSED OUT THE WINDOW; IT MUST BE COAXED DOWN THE STAIRS A STEP AT A TIME"

Mark Twain

0 Kudos
lorybks

quitting smoking isn't easy......but i'm doing it....two months now.....at first....thought i couldn't do it...my house was spotless, and i chewed straws to help......but all along. i keep telling myself....i'm not gonna smoke.....let me tell ya, i used that mantra alot, hehe.....

i agree about the inner dialogue, i started smoking as a crutch when my husband was soooo sick with cancer....looking back, i should have tried exercise..

the mind is powerful.....you can control the thoughts....and each time you do, its a great feeling......i can't wait till i say.....i'm smoke free a year.......then two......

0 Kudos
quitfor4

the cravings will come and they will go away again just remember they always go away

0 Kudos