cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Indigo7358

Day 2, Christmas, really struggling.

Jump to solution

Help, I quit yesterday, Christmas Eve, day 2 ,Christmas day, I'm having a hard time!!!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You’ve come to the right place. You have to be committed. Stay strong! You can do this. Keep going. If you go to the quit vaping tab you’ll see I too have struggled with quitting but one day at a time!! When is your surgery? I’ll be praying for you.  

View solution in original post

Maki

Just jumping in . I wanted to mention to you that you don’t chew the gum , you park it on the side of your cheek , see if that might help ok . Hang in there . Keep posting before you smoke or vape . We gotta ya , talk it through in your blog , work with the craves don’t fight them . You are going to be ok . 

Indigo7358

My surgery is Jan. 26th. All prayers are appreciated,  although I'm not religious. But I believe there is some kind of a higher power.  Thank you.

8 Replies
ReallyReal

Hello @Indigo7358 First, congratulations on your decision to quit.  The first week is known as h3ll week here on this site and elsewhere.  Those early days can get really rough. It is great that you reached out for help.  Do you have a toolbox you can open up with tools you can use to distract yourself from the cravings?  For me, I did a lot of crocheting, did a lot of praying, and also other things.  There are grounding techniques you can use to get your mind off how you are feeling--for example, sit with your feet firmly planted on the ground, take several slow deep breaths, then look around the room and find everything that is red (I said out loud what I had found), then find everything that is blue, and so on.  I also had a little rock I kept in my pocket, I would hold it in my hand and just focus on how it felt.  But everyone has their own tools that work for them.  Just know that these early days can be gotten through successfully without nicotine.  Many here on the Ex have done it and you can too.  I don't know if my comment helps, but you are not alone.  You have made a fabulous decision to quit using nicotine and you can do this.  Distance and distract yourself from the cravings--they won't last.  You will get through these hard times.  Remember why you quit--better health, saving money, etc.  Maybe write down your reason for quitting.  And read on this site.  There are tons of great blogs.  I am 76 days quit--it hasn't been easy but it can be done.  Wishing you the best.  Please continue to post to let us know how you are doing.

Barbscloud

@Indigo7358 Welcome to the Ex. and congrats on two days of success. Sorry we didn't get back to you yesterday.   You've made the best choice for your mental and physical health.

You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking. This comes into play when you're having cravings in the morning for example. What can you do instead of smoking? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close. Glad you reached out for support. It really works!

Barb

Indigo7358

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I'm at the end of day 3, and emotionally, not good. I didn't smoke cigarettes,  we'll, I did, but quit and went to vaping almost 8 yrs ago. I'm having surgery in 4 weeks, possibly open heart, so, I know, I need to quit. I did it cold turkey on Christmas eve, and today, I went and got Nicorette gum. It's not helping, first, I'm not a gum chewer, but I  think it's the habit I'm having the most trouble with, not the nicotine. I'm retired 2 weeks, my relationship is not great, but we own a house together, I feel like I'm going to explode. If I wasn't having a serious surgery, I would have gone back to vaping already. 

0 Kudos
Maki

Just jumping in . I wanted to mention to you that you don’t chew the gum , you park it on the side of your cheek , see if that might help ok . Hang in there . Keep posting before you smoke or vape . We gotta ya , talk it through in your blog , work with the craves don’t fight them . You are going to be ok . 

Barbscloud

@Indigo7358 Many users of nicotine don't feel it's the nicotine that's causing them the problem, but it is.  Nicotine is a very addictive chemical that actually changes your brain chemistry.  Sure there are habits attached also, that's why we need to create new associations to replace vaping/smoking. 

Quitting for your upcoming surgery is a great for a successful outcome.  But why not think beyond that and not look at your quit as something temporary.  It's about your long term physical and mental health.   Look forward to feeling so much better.  Relationship can be very stressful.  Even though the nicotine my relieve some stress for few minutes, in the long run it increases stress.

Try using the deep breathing exercise. They really work.

Barbscloud_0-1682518691596.gif

These are the instructions using the gum and you can use the nicotine patch also.

You chew it a few times and then “park” it between your cheek and the space below your teeth. The nicotine is absorbed mostly in your mouth. Nicotine gum can be used every 1-2 hours by itself to control withdrawal symptoms, or it may be used as needed for stronger cravings when used in combination with nicotine patch.

Glad you reached out. That's what we're here for. Hang in there and stay close.

Barb

You’ve come to the right place. You have to be committed. Stay strong! You can do this. Keep going. If you go to the quit vaping tab you’ll see I too have struggled with quitting but one day at a time!! When is your surgery? I’ll be praying for you.  

Indigo7358

My surgery is Jan. 26th. All prayers are appreciated,  although I'm not religious. But I believe there is some kind of a higher power.  Thank you.

Barbscloud

@Indigo7358 

Barbscloud_0-1684412324344.jpeg

Barb

0 Kudos