cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

monkeynbs

Day 1

Hi my name is Nikki and I am addicted to vaping. Woah that's weird because I always said I can just stop vaping any time I want and not care. Well maybe I want to think I dont care but my mind has other plans. Ever other minute is the though of reaching for my vape. Luckily I left it at home today because I knew if it was close I would reach and reaching would result in puffing and that puffing is slowly killing my lungs. You see, I have asthma. Ever since I was a kid I remember having to do breathing treatments on a big machine and eventually being prescribed 2 inhalers. Now I joke that I need my inhaler and I grab my vape and suck on it instead of the medicine that helps me breathe! What kind of idiot would do such a thing? Yes...me. I have been vaping since I first met my husband back in 2017. He introduced me to it but I dont blame him. He may have shown the world to me but he didnt force me to inhale. I made my own choice to get my own mod and then another and another. I couldn't even venture to guess how much money i have spent on making myself sick. Mods, juices, coils, tanks; if I had to guess I would say I have wasted upwards of $2500 within the last 3 years. It doesnt seem like much but that's double the price my husband paid for our 1997 Toyota 4Runner which runs like a champ. I could have bought cars with that money. Used of course and probably needing work but vehicles that actually serve a purpose. Or even the Roomba vacuum I have always wanted, a trip to an all inclusive resort, a new tattoo (okay bad example maybe), even invested the money in a stock or mutual fund. Too bad because that money is gone never to be seen again except within the heaviness of my chest when I try to exercise. So here i am today deciding that enough is enough and I am ready to say goodbye. And I may still be in contact with some of my exes in a friendly manner but this is one I never want to hear from again. Onward and upward to a healthier and fuller breath of life. 

Labels (1)
8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Here is a great article with information about the products: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping/vaping-101-what-know-about-e-cigs-addiction-illnesses-n1054981... There is further information here: https://www.becomeanex.org/quitting-e-cigarettes and here; https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/impact-of-e-cigarettes-on-lung.html .

Because it is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe vaping might be more difficult from which to break free than tobacco products - but it CAN be done!  If you have gone all of today without nicotine, it should be out of your system in two MORE days.  When you get home, smash and throw out your device and any pods you have remaining.  Keeping any around is giving yourself permission to fail.  It takes a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to functioning without nicotine, so expect some physical symptoms for that amount of time.

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.” 

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.  You might cut up straws to device length and puff on them when you need that routine.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...monkeynbs 

So happy you made the decision to quit vaping.  You are right...it is an ex (our smoking addiction) we never what to see again...Please read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and plan your quit day...(replace smoking with vaping)...read as much as you can at Ex’s about vaping, addiction, nicotine, etc., and hang tough and work hard at keeping this quit.  Also, be sure to keep close to us (support site) .  We are here to help you.  You can do this...and get rid of the worse relationship ever...~ Colleen 506 DOF 

Deena-A-Yenni

I'm worried that you might reach for your vape when you get home or maybe your husband's.  I hope you quickly dispose of yours and stay clear of hubby's!!!!  I look forward to following your journey and cheering you on during the good and the bad.  Welcome aboard!!!!

beazel

Good decision! Just keep making that same decision everyday.

I agree, please throw away your vape stuff - you don't need it anymore.

Stick around, read lots, post often. We are here for you, and your journey will help others.

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. You've come to a great community of quitters. Planning a quit is important--support is a powerful thing too. Keep moving forward as you carve out a workable plan to get past vaping/nicotine addiction and dependency.

WhispersQSMB

You're not addicted to vaping, you're addicted to nicotine just like i was. I made the move from ciggs to vaping and would think i was an ex smoker. All of my friends that went from ciggs to vaping, half went back to smoking ciggs. Like maryfreecig mentioned, have a plan, a plan to battle the cravings. One day at a time, its the same smoking and vaping just a different delivery. Congrats on your first day

0 Kudos
indingrl

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.   Congrats on your decision to quit vaping and your first day nicotine free.  You've already gotten great advice.  If you haven't done so already read everything you can about nicotine addiction and a have a plan in place to be successful.  There's great support here, so just reach out if you need encouragement and to share your journey.

Keep moving forward one day at a time.

Barb

0 Kudos