cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Day 1 of quitting chew

Hi, My name is Jonathan and i have been chewing tobacco for almost 11 years. Sadly, i have lied to my wife about quitting for 8 years. She has caught me hiding it from her many times and i always say i will quit. Yesterday was another one of those days and this is the final straw (understandably). So today is day 1of quitting chew, and this time is truly different.

First, i have signed up for Ex Community to find support though all of the withdrawals i am about to experience. I am currently using nicotine patches, gum and sunflower seeds to resist the urges. And i am looking for a marriage councilor to visit so that i cam mend the trust I have broken between my wife and I. None of these things have ever happened before when trying to quit, so i have a positive outlook on this time around.

I couple silly things i am going to try to help keep me motivated. 1, i am going to make my own sobriety chips out of wood. Just something to remind me of my success. 2, I am going to set aside the money i would have spend on chew and give it to my wife as a gift for her to do something special as a way of saying i am sorry for lying and hurting her. 

Hoping to find some support here to help me through all of this since many of you have experienced quitting. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congrats on your quit journey @OptimusPrime91 . Keep coming back and posting.  Journaling as you go will give others a sense of where you are in your quit and support you on your path.

EX Community Admin Team
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex @OptimusPrime91   Do this for you.  For your health and well-being.  

It looks like you've been contemplating a plan to help with your quit.  If you haven't done so already, read about nicotine addiction.  It's amazing what we don't know about it -- it really helped me having that knowledge.  And a plan with the tools you'll use and the new associations you'll create instead of smoking will build you're confidence.  Nothing is silly.  It's what works for you.  Setting the money aside for your wife is a great gesture, but don't forget to  focus on you right now.    This is one day at a time, so don't  look too far into the future.  After three years, I still set the money aside for me each month but the money wasn't a motivation for me to quit.  It's just a bonus to me.     

We're here to support you, so just reach out anytime you need support.   

Barb

MarilynH

Welcome to the community @OptimusPrime91 how are you doing? Please know that we're all here to help you in any way we can and we are rooting you on you can do this quit and you'll do one precious day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths and each day you get through is another Day WON with many more to come, let us know how you are doing.....

a75b3061d29cf881b655fd99555df9cd.jpg

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Hi Johnathan  here is my little welcome message to you.  First I want to say here at the EX you will never be alone.  I hope that you and your wife amend this crisis.  Just don't chew and you will be fine.  There is a lot of information here to help 

Welcome to EX   

You have come to the right place for aupport. if you are making the decision to commit to quit smoking.  At EX our resolve is to never smoke again.  NOPE “Not one puff ever.”  I suggest that you follow the steps on the web site pages along with reading, writing, studying, researching and blogging if you like.

This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be a nonsmoker. I used Wellbutrin as an aid for 90 days.  It helped but I also had to develop new skills to not smoke.  If you haven’t read it or have not been informed read  Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”. It is in pdf on the web  It is an easy suggested  Also check out www.whyquit.com.  There is a lot of additional beneficial information to read and study.  Look for Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101. Both were extremely helpful for me.  Stay close to the site and learn, ask questions. Read the blogs and most of all enjoy your commitment to quit smoking.

If you should need something to do here is a link that will help

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/blog/read/5711492/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke).

If you take the time to do the work you will have success.

0 Kudos

Good Morning Everyone, thank you for all the support! It feels great to read all of these and know i am not alone. I m going to post a new update, but for all of you here, today marks Day 5. yesterday was the first real test as i was out on the road alone, driving for hours and typically when i chewed. I was successful getting thought the day, but many thoughts ran through my mind to stop and buy a tin. 

The sleepless nights and headaches have started, but there is more on the line for me this time so these symptom wont get me!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Just saw your new post.

0 Kudos