cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Day 1 again on the morrow

I'm not a stranger to quitting, but am doing it again. I'll be happy to be a quitter rather than a smoker. 

Some of you have seen me here before and you saw me disappear. I'm a human and made some mistakes, and that included smoking again. I set my quit date as tomorrow last week. 

I've been reading Allen Carr again, am in touch with them on Twitter, and have been reeducating myself of the contents of cigarettes (horrifying) and why I want to quit and how I intend to do it. 

My preference is cold turkey. I agree with Carr on the concept of not continuing the drug (nicotine) that I'm quitting in any form. I'm also making "there is no reason to smoke; there are millions of reasons to quit" my mantra. Mostly, I'm repeating "there is no reason to smoke" in my mind and have made major changes already. 

I have the challenge, but not permanent hurdle that can't be defeated, of having a smoker live in the house. She smokes outside only. She's very kind to not smoke in the car when I'm with her. Something I read today about being jealous of smokers and wanting what they have struck me. I need to remember Carr's suggestion that I have nothing to be jealous of. I won't feel pity for her as per his suggestion. She's as addicted as can be. Perhaps she'll see my quit as an opportunity. But for today, my quit is the most important thing for me to consider.

Anyway, here I am. I could use all of your help. I know I'm going to get cranky, but am remaining positive. 

Hello. My name is Donna. I'm a smokeaholic.

30 Replies
DonnaMarie

I know the drill, but I need to practice the drill over and over and over and over. Thanks for being here. 

Jennifer-Quit

Welcome back Donna - Stay close and don't be afraid to ask for help. NOPE is the key!

jceleski

I haven't been on in a good while.  What is NOPE?

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

Not one puff ever = N O P E

indingrl

Hi Donna and welcome I am a recovering NICOTINE ADDICT and a RECOVERING SMOKE-A-HOLIC TOO! CONGRATS TO YOU AND WELCOME! SUGGESTION to educate was also at whyquit.com just sharing the love and please keep on keeping I am so joy filled you are back with STAYING QUIT TOGETHER WITH ALL OF US HERE! Yahoooooo NOT ONE PUFF OVER ME....NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF.... Joel has day on day two day three this intense 3 day withdrawl and the after TWO WEEKS ALL NICOTINE IS OUT OF YOUR BODY... I was taught that from Joel at whyquit.com it was SUGGESTED 7 years ago from those STAYING QUIT HERE to go educate MYSELF watch the videos of FACTS NOT FEELINGS taught by Joel so I took the suggestions and ONLY BY GODS GRACE I am here TRYING to help the next suffering nicotine addict to believe and hope just like was done for ME... gotta give it all away to keep it... please remember to blog BEFORE you take that first puff over you... thank you DonnaMarie for helping ME REMAIN quit for ONE DAY AT A TIME with you and please keep on keeping on I am glad you are here! 

Welcome back! 

Glad you didn't give up on yourself! There's so much peace up ahead if you can just get through the rough part that we all must face at first. Looking forward to hearing of your incredible success!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Lisaml

Hi Donna! Nice to "meet" you. I'm a nicoholic too;-) 

42 days quit for me, I had one quit that lasted almost a year, then wanted "just one" for nostalgia maybe?! Idk but then I was obviously back at square one within a few days. 

This time has had been relatively painless (so far)...

ive been a sneaky closet smoker for many years. It was truly exhausting. Anyway, good to see you, looking forward to hearing your successes and cheering you on!!;-) 

DonnaMarie

Exhausting is a good way to characterize it. When I started, everyone smoked everywhere. This winter, I found myself outside in 9-degree weather smoking. Simply smoking. WTF is up with that? I, too, have quit for long periods of time, but I'm not quit now and that's what counts. I'm aiming for a short term goal and then will set a long term goal. They're both the same, but short term seems a little daunting. I'm boning up right now - spending time on WhyQuit, coming here, reading what I already know (but need to be reminded), and re-reading Allen Carr's book. 

Congrats on your 42 days!

Nice to Meet You, Donna- I'm a Newbie of 13 days tomorrow to this QUIT! Joined the site in Jan. Not a newbie to being a Tobacco Addict! I've Smoked for 45 yrs. and I intend this to be my last Quit!!!! I do understand the battles we fight. I'm doing better considering it a Journey. 1 sec.,1hr,.1day,1wk.,etc............Found trying to fight like war, wasn't working for this Ex-Army Brat!  This Site is Awesome, when it comes to plenty of materials to use and a Fantastic support group........Sure I'll be seeing ya around very soon. Prairie

dinah10

Tomorrow is my quit day as well and I found your post very helpful. I’ve been preparing for tomorrow for two weeks . I like your mantra I may borrow it