cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mandolinrain

DIY-Daily Living Tips-Hacks -Please share yours...

Thought this may be a fun way to help each other with things we know or have  learned . Here are my 'HACKS' for the day to share. Please share some of yours too.

Drinking water

Rain water is about as pure as you can get for drinking . Heres a quick way to collect it ~(using  #1-2-4 ~ BPA free bucket or a stainless steel container large pot, invert an umbrella over it that has a hole opening near tip. Then when container is full, pour water into gallon jugs for storage in a cool dark place for up to 6 months. Its recommended to have at least one gallon per person a day for 2 weeks on standby. Another option is using 4 large stakes and a tarp angled to collect water and run off into a bucket.

Another way is a rain barrel. These collect water from your roof/gutter and you do need a filter for it. Instructions are on YOUTUBE.

HOME MADE TOOTHPASTE

6TB Solid coconut oil

6 TB Baking Soda

25 drops edible essential oil

1 small package stevia ( optional)

Mix and store in small jar.

Eggs

Theres a very cool way to store loads of fresh farm eggs for many months and it is called GLASS EGG Preservation. Check it out online on youtube for instructions. I had not heard of this and its SO COOL. SO EASY .

Indoor/Outdoor bug repellant for edible and non edible plants

( Makes one gallon)

2 TB Neem Oil ( I use 100%organic Dr. Adorable brand)

1/4 TB Dawn dishsoap

Fill remaining jug or sprayer off with tap water

Be sure to wet leaves underneath plants as well as tops 

HAND SANITIZER

Wednesday on Amazon, a 2-pack of Purell hand sanitizer, 10 ounces, was nearly $80. But before you go spending some big bucks, you can actually make your own. Pharmacist Mark Thompson said making your own is just as effective as using store-bought.

The Ingredients:

• 2/3 Cup Rubbing Alcohol (at least 91% alcohol)
  • 1/3 Cup Aloe Vera Gel
  • Mixing Bowl
  • Spoon
  • Funnel
  • Mini Travel Size Bottles
  • Optional: Add a few drops of lavender, vanilla, or another essential oil for scent.

According to market researchers from Adobe Analytics, the demand for hand sanitizer spiked 1,400 percent from December to January.

Okay these are my tips for now. More tomorrow.

27 Replies
Cousin-Itt

Thank you for the great tips   I'll definitely check the Glass Egg I never heard of it   Looking forward to tomorrow   

sweetplt

Missy....Mandolinrain hahahah...these are great tips...Look forward to tomorrow’s...Thank you for sharing...

PS you may find a tip for all these people going out buying so much toilet paper...LOL...

Mandolinrain

Well here's a thought....it's called a washcloth, lol. Simple. Go poo then proceed to sink and soap up a washcloth and clean your bum.  Toss washcloth into washer and then dryer and re-use prn. Who Knew ???? 

See, didn't cost  as much, conserving trees in process. Good Hack, I have to say

sweetplt

LOL 

YoungAtHeart

UV from sunlight will kill viruses.  Don't know for sure that it will kill the Coronavirus, but if you are skeptical about who might have handled your fresh produce, it wouldn't hurt to leave it in the sun for a bit.  Can't hurt - might help.  Washing helps, too  but I don't think you want to use soap on your potatoes.....:    

Barbscloud

They discussed that this morning.  Not enough UV rays in the sun to kill it.

This is from Consumer Reports - I just looked this up so I'd know what to day when I get groceries.

Wash produce with soap and water. Because COVID-19 is from a family of viruses very likely deactivated by contact with soap and water, washing your fruit and vegetables with soap and water should eliminate any live virus, says Rogers. What's more, rubbing fruit and vegetables under running water—and scrubbing those with hard skins—can help remove pesticides.

But Rogers says there's no data to show that COVID-19 is spread by consuming food. "The risk of getting the virus from your food is considered low," he says.

For hard-skinned produce, scrub skins or peels with a soft-bristled vegetable brush, using dish or hand soap and warm water. For other types of produce, including leafy greens, soak in soapy water for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse

Protect Yourself From Coronavirus Grocery Shopping - Consumer Reports 

I'm going to check out the eggs.

Mandolinrain

Todays Tips for March 24th, 2020

WASHING FRESH PRODUCE with Baking Soda will remove pesticides....How do you wash vegetables with baking soda?
  1. Fill a large bowl with water.
  2. Then add a teaspoon of baking soda.
  3. Add the veggies.
  4. Soak for a minute or two.
  5. Scrub with a brush.
  6. And finally, rinse off the veggies.

EMERGENCY SPACE HEATER

***Use a Terra cotta pot, place a few candles under a upside down pot.

EMERGENCY CANDLE...Use a crayon. Stand on end and light it. One crayon proves a flame for 15 minutes. One box of crayons with 97 crayons gove you 24 hours

10 FOODS THAT WILL LAST INDEFINITELY  IN YOUR PANTRY IF STORED PROPERLY 

1. Sugar

2. Instant Coffee

3. Powdered Milk

4. Soy Sauce

5. Popcorn Kernals

6. Red Wine

7.Canola Oil

8. Spam

9.Dry Beans

10. White Vinegar

RECIPE FOR MAKING YOUR OWN DISINFECTANT WIPES

You will need:

One roll of paper towells

One empty container that will hold it standing up on end ( you can also cut the paper towel roll in half if you have shorter container

3 Tablespoons of Bleach mixed in 2 Cups of water.

1. Put paper towel, entire roll into your container

2. Pour bleach/water mixture over the top of towels in container

3. Pull the cardboard center of the roll out.

4. Close the lid

5. When ready to use, pull up from center of towels 

SIMPLE PLANT FERTILIZER RECIPE FOR INDOOR AND OUTDOOR PLANTS, THIS IS AMAZING ON AFRICAN VIOLETS

Banana Peel

Coffee Grounds

Eggshells

Mix these three items in a blender and use as needed

STAY TUNED FOR TOMORROWS TIPS-AND HACKS  

ADD ANY TIPS/HACKS YOU MAY HAVE IN COMMENTS

Cousin-Itt

Never knew about the crayons or the Terra Cotta pot 

We made wipes and made extra disinfectant liquid to put into a old spray bottle of course 

Thanks

marciem

Thanks for posting these hacks, Missy!

I did find a correction to your recipe for hand sanitizer, from Show Me the Science – When & How to Use Hand Sanitizer in Community Settings | Handwashing | CDC 

"If soap and water are not available, using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol can help you avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others."  and "Hand sanitizers without 60-95% alcohol 1) may not work equally well for many types of germs; and 2) merely reduce the growth of germs rather than kill them outright."

This means that you need to be sure your alcohol is at least 91%, and the ratio to aloe vera gel would be 3:1 (3 parts alcohol to 1 part aloe vera).  Less than that would make it less or not effective against germs.

Hubs bought some alcohol that says it is 51%... might be good for "rubbing alcohol" but not so much as a disinfectant.