cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rrrich7

Cutting back tomorrow

I know this pretty much goes against what people recommend here - a total quit.  But I don't feel ready for that.  Mostly what I want to get over is smoking first thing in the morning before coffee and after.  And spending the morning around the house, smoking. 

So I've set a goal for tomorrow to not smoke before 12 noon.  I know people will respond saying "you need to just quit permanently" but, after a lot of consideration, don't feel ready for that yet, and so, i ask respectfully to not get a lot of "you're doing it wrong, you need to quit permanently tomorrow" messages.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
22 Replies
elvan

Good question...how ARE you doing rrrich7 ...

rrrich7

Well I am making some small progress, but not really working very hard at cutting back.  I really need to check in here more often.  I was up to 1-1/2 packs a day (30 cigs a day) at one point, now I am down to about 22 cigs a day.

It is really hard right now, we are having cold weather, and it would make sense to not go outside as much to smoke (no smoking in the house).  But I still give in to cravings.

Last night I was running low on cigs, but decided I was just going to chance it, and see if I could make the cigarettes last until this morning.  Which I did.  So that felt like a small cutting back.

The day I did my last "quit" I lasted from waking up at about 6 to not having a cigarette until 11:15.  Unfortunately I spent quite a bit of time watching the clock, and didn't really have any plan about what to do with my time.  I spent some of the time sleeping (my best way not to smoke).  And I had created a "goodie box" of candy etc to use for cravings.  Some of the stuff in it is not really very appetizing to me.  I kept going for the chocolate.  In any case I know some stuff now for the next cut back attempt/quit.

Like I said, i need to write in here more often.  I spend a lot of time thinking about smoking/not smoking, and it will be helpful to get some of it out of my head.

Just a suggestion.

Start talking to yourself.

Say this to yourself every time you want to smoke.

"I'm going to wait a little longer."

That's all you have to do and those long times in between will be the regular occurence.

In time you will understand you don't need to smoke just because you thought you did.

When you get down to a pack every 4 days, you should be ready to quit.