cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kellie_a

Current Read - "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice

I've begun reading "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice and I find it VERY hard to put down. This book is amazing.

I have to admit that I actually started reading this series in the mid 90s (?), but I didn't catch this one - the very first one. An engineer friend of mine loaned me "Lasher", which happens to be the second one in the series.

I also find it amazing that this series has such followers as this person that's devoted a really nice looking website to the series.

I have just found a really interesting quote in this book by someone that was writing about people with poor knowledge on a specific topic I presume:
"Ah, Stefan, give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a dangerous enemy indeed."
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
pat3

Have you read the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer? It is excellent. She also wrote The Host and that is a very good book.
0 Kudos
kellie_a

No, I sure haven't. Someone else has referred me to this series so it must be a sign that I need to read them. 🙂

Isn't this the series that the movie "Twilight" was based on? I just seen the movie over the weekend. I've been meaning to pick up the first one and try it out though.

Would this be the one to pick up first?
0 Kudos
tracy18

This book IS AMAZING!! Anne Rice is an amazing author. So far, all the books I've read by her are really good.
0 Kudos
melissa2

ok Kelli, I am having flashbacks now, I love Anne Rice & the Vampire Chronicles.
I have the Witching Hour and I keep trying to read it and now I have a mission. I will find it in my books and start again.
I am also a fan of Stephen King, I am still scared to walk by a storm drain because of that stupid clown in IT!
0 Kudos
kellie_a

Oh yes! Stephen King rules in my opinion.
Everytime that I read something he writes, no matter how weird it is, he can make you believe that there is this small, minute chance that it could really be. 🙂

Please, go find that book. You won't regret it. It is most excellent!
0 Kudos
pat3

Yes, the first book is Twilight. I will tell you now, you will be disgusted at the end of the book, but please don't let that keep you from buying the second book. I almost said to heck with it, but I'm glad I didn't.
0 Kudos
melissa2

I should have started the Witching Hour first, but my daughter gave me the 1st 2 books of the Twighlight series...now I am hooked. She also said I did not want to end the first one without having the 2nd one handy cuz I would be pissed.
I haven't made time for reading over the last 3 years, trying to run my business, and the last books I read were when I was down with a broken leg 3 years ago and I read most of the Left behind series.
So, I am going to read the 4 from the Twilight series, then the Witching Hour wich is collecting dust on my bookshelf, and then the last few of the Left behind series. That should keep me busy for a while. I forgot how relaxing reading can be, even if it is suspensful or scary. Takes you away from your everyday life without using chemicals...hmmmm.
0 Kudos
mmerose

I wish I could forget this series by Anne Rice - so I could read it again as new!!!! It was good.
On the other hand, although I enjoy vampire lore, Twilight just didn't do anything for me. No spark of interest in continuing the series.
Recently, I read The Messenger by Jan Burke. Burke is best known for her Irene Kelly mystery series. The Messenger is a paranormal thriller/romance without all the creatures who have become so common recently - no vamps, weres, fairies, etc. It was a refreshing change and I hope she keeps writing in this genre - without giving up Irene, of course!
0 Kudos
kellie_a

Oh good! I will definitely have to check her out. That sounds good. I love this genre, all paranormal, sci-fi type books, so I know I will like her stuff.
Thanks for the heads up! 🙂
0 Kudos