cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

angel6

Curious about chantix -

I would like to hear from real people about thier experiences with chantix.
I am seriously considering the med, but there is so much controversy.

My quit date is July 7. I want to succeed this time.!
0 Kudos
26 Replies
krystlewing

I used chantix the first 7 days of quitting and it really helped because I slept through most of the first 7 days. ROFL!

It closes off the pleasure centers of the brain enough that it will help you get through the toughest part of quitting...but at some point you have to tough it out on your own. I noticed that chantix can be beat just by smoking more, so it is an agreement and a commitment you have to make with it and yourself to use it as the tool it is meant to be.

The nice part of using Chantix is the psychological preparation it gives you by allowing you to smoke for 7 days after you start taking it, t he day you start taking it is your quit date, so to speak, lol. This takes the bite out of quitting by offering a preparation grace period. I think it's more psychological than anything else, I love the little psychological self help tricks that worked for me...it was a great product for me for 1/3rd of the product use.

It is expensive and since I did not take it all, at least 2/3's of it was a waste. I suggest you get one package at a time rather than the whole box. That way if you decide to not take it all you have saved a bundle of $$$.

Good luck, I know you can do it because I did it and I NEVER thought I could.

Krystle Wing
0 Kudos
banter

Hello Angel,

I'm kinda anti-Chantix so please change the channel now if you are easily offended. 🙂 Please know that I understand chantix helps people, but as with any drug you have to weigh the advantages against the disadvantages and make an educated decision.

Controversy = opinion. There are many positive and negative facts about chantix out there, so you don't have to rely on controversy. The fact is that chantix blocks the a4b2 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in your brain. These are the receptors that stimulate the dopamine system, the very same that are stimulated by nicotine. The problem is that chantix also blocks normal stimulation from living your life. This means that if you are suffering from depression, are susceptible to suffering from depression or have an underlying depression that is hidden by nicotine stimulating your dopamine system, taking chantix could result in depression. Some people suffer from depression without any previous mental health issues or concerns.

People kill themselves when they are depressed and have done so while taking chantix.

More facts:

ISMP monitoring noted that "by the 3rd quarter of 2007 varenicline [Chantix] produced a signal not previously seen for any other drug. It produced more serious reports than any other drug for multiple types of events: more potential cases of angioedema, cardiac arrhythmia, diabetes and severe cutaneous injury. By the 4th quarter of 2007 varenicline accounted for more reports of serious drug adverse events in the United States than any other drug."

Citations on the above facts:
Chantix blamed for 3,063 serious injuries and 78 deaths
Chantix and Champix mental health safety assurances contrary to evi...

The second link above has about 100 messages from people that have loved ones that killed themselves. There are also people that post about their horrifying suffering while on the drug. I would not even think about taking a drug that could do this to me especially when cold turkey is the safest, fastest and most effective way to quit smoking.

If you'd like to read the positive articles just search for chantix on google, you'll find that Pfizer has spent a lot of money to make sure positive articles bubble to the top of your search results.

Jason

52 days
0 Kudos
banter

0 Kudos
krystlewing

Hi all, I think it's a great idea to check out all you can about any drug you are about to take, that's just common sense, and I think that is what is happening here now just by asking everyone how it worked for them, or not.

On the other hand, there are far too many drugs and far too few people with the common sense to use them properly!

If someone is already in a depressed state they probably should not take a drug that causes the pleasure centers to be blocked, blocking what joy they can find during their difficult time. If you are depressed it is not a good time to quit smoking, quitting is hard enough, unless you are the type of person that thrives on that kind of challenge.

All drugs today are a mix of positive and negative, some of the side effects are rediculously gross. If I didn't feel it was necessary to use Chantix to quit smoking, I would never have used it, I actually detest pills, lol...others are in the same boat I know. Responsibility is the biggest issue here...Some people don't feel they have the option and I was one of them when it came to quitting smoking, I needed the help, even if only for 7 days.

Ask yourself the questions, do I feel good enough to handle the depression that can come of quitting? Do I have a strong enough support base and have I trained them properly to help me? I made sure everyone around me knew that what I did not need was shaming, if I messed up, I needed positive feedback and I got it and it worked for me. Do not expect others around you to just know the right things to say or to be mind readers. Be realistic.

Finally, be ok with stopping the chantix or any drug if you feel the slightest bit out of sorts with it. Yes it can make you feel nauseous and sleepy. Read the info for side effects, make yourself familiar with all you can about anything you are taking. All I can do is tell you how it worked for me. I tend to be very strong emotionally and mentally. Others are stronger physically, know your weaknesses and your strengths and act accordingly.

We all want to see all of you back here the next day! That means we really do care and it means you are worth caring about!
Hugs to all, Krystle Winged Butterfly
0 Kudos
angel6

Banter,

Thanks for all of the info! I am positive that this drug isn't a good choice. It is Cold Turkey for me.

And a great big thanks to everyone else who replied.

BTW , no controversy....facts I agree.
0 Kudos
jean11

Angel, I had a great experience with Chantix. It's been over 220 days that I have been smoke free. The only side effect I had was vivid dreams and woke up during the night. It is amazing how well this drug works. I started smoking in my teens and quit cold turkey after 15 years. That was extremely hard on me and other around me. I didn't smoke for 5 years. I started up again and smoked for 12 years and found Chantix. It's a world of difference using the Chantix. I did gain weight, but looking back I could have exercised more and ate less, now I am addressing that issue. Finding something to do when you would be smoking is a challenge. You have to find something to replace the habit. Also the Chantix site offers so much encouragement that helps a lot. I still get emails from them. I only have praise for Chantix and would recommend it to anyone serious about quitting.
0 Kudos
zen-blondism

Hi Angel,
I have just come in the door from filling my Chantix Rx. I begin the program in the morning. I have posted affirmations around my home, removed all the triggers I could identify. I am even going to have tea instead of my beloved coffee tomorrow morning. I am 38 and have tried to quit several times in the past. I have tried just about everything....patches, gum, lozenges, accupuncture, herbal remedies, cold turkey (HA!) you name it. I even tried those magnets that you put in your ear. Wow! It sounds soooo pathetic just admitting that.
I will gladly keep you posted on my progress. My quit date is one week from tomorrow as per the instructions for Chantix. How lame! I love it already cuz I still get to smoke for one week. A huge part of me wants to just stop right now but I am taking this seriuosly. I am also very very scared because the truth is this is my shot. Everything is lined up just right....you know...ducks in row kinda thing. In my heart I know it's now or never. I am praying that this desperate feeling will help when the cravings creep up.
Peace.
0 Kudos
lizzo

Angel, I have been taking Chantix for 8 weeks now. It has side effects like nausea and sleep disturbance.. I do not think I could have quit without it. It is, as others have said, a tool to use in the battle against addiction. You do have to begin to change your mind about smoking and that is the most difficult part. I believe if you go to the Chantix website you will see how it works. It blocks nicotine receptors so even when you smoke you do not feel as if you have gotten any nicotine but at the same time Chantix allows smaller doses of dopamine (pleasure producing neurotransmitter) so you do not have severe withdrawal symptoms. I almost gave up on it after 3 weeks, but stuck it out and have not smoked since May 31. I recommend it to anyone who can tolerate the side effects. As with any prescription drug, you need to see a doctor and be monitored by a doctor. . Whatever you choose, I wish you the best and there is a lot of good support here!
0 Kudos
angel6

Hi Zen Blondism,

I wish you the best of luck!

My biggest fear about Chantix believe it or not, is nausea!
I have some Gastro issues, and even taking antibiotics just kills me!
I also have alot of depression that runs in my family, and have had a couple bouts of it myself in the past.
I guess for me the risk far out weighs the benefits.

I have a co worker that quit using Chantix, and he has been smoke free for over a year now!
As far as I know he had very few side effects.

Keep me posted ! I am rooting for you all the way! : )
0 Kudos