cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Bec14575

Curiosity

So I see everywhere (and I already knew this) that quitting cold turkey typically has the highest failure rate over things like nrt.  I’m curious as to when the failure is more likely. Is it during the actual physical withdrawal stage since NRT is supposed to help with that? Logically I would think that once you get past the physical portion of addiction that chances of success would equalize across quit types since it becomes about the psychological at that point. But I’m wondering if there’s any studies or anything to support or dispute that theory?

Tags (1)
15 Replies

I went cold turkey because I just wanted the nicotine to be out of my system and for me there was no sense prelonging it. It may have been harder but it’s shorter. I guess it is a personal choice. I’m on day 24. I feel normal but obviously the cravings still come often. 

Thesegoto11

The Surgeon General's office publishes smoking-cessation reports every few years.  Here are a few excerpts from the 2020 report:

- Nationally representative data indicate that about three in five U.S. Adults who ever smoked have quit successfully.
 - 68% of current smokers stated they wanted to quit.
 - In the past year, about 56% made a serious attempt to quit; however, only about 7% reported they had succeeded.
 - Despite progress over the past 30 years, the reach and use of smoking cessation interventions remain low, with less than one-third of smokers using any proven cessation treatments (counseling and/or medication) from 2000 to 2015.
 - Despite evidence demonstrating that using smoking cessation pharmacotherapy with behavioral support is more effective than quitting without these treatments, most smokers who had recently quit reported that they did not quit using either.  Some researchers believe it is because of a lack of insurance coverage and other barriers that explains why many smokers have little choice but to quit without formal treatment.
 - Proponents of encouraging smokers to quit without treatment, often called quitting “cold turkey,” point to data indicating that most smokers who quit successfully do so without medications or any type of formal assistance, as well as to population surveys suggesting that cold-turkey quitters do as well or better than those who use over-the-counter NRTs.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

"Some researchers believe it is because of a lack of insurance coverage and other barriers that explains why many smokers have little choice but to quit without formal treatment."

...and did the researchers take into account that quitting smoking saves probably what the NRT's cost - depending on how much their nicotine cost them?

Where is the education, she rants?  AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN!

........getting down off my soapbox......

elvan

I quit cold turkey but I have nothing against NRT and I know lots of people who have been successful with that.  I drank lots of liquids to get the poison out of my system and my REAL issues were with the psychological withdrawal and all of the associations I had with smoking. It's a journey, not an event and it is one day at a time, sometimes, one feeling at a time.  It DOES get easier.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

Cousin-Itt

You may enjoy reading this article   No matter which way a person quits the end result that counts

Quitting Smoking Cold Turkey: Pros, Cons and Other Options

https://www.forhers.com/blog/quit-smoking-cold-turkey

indingrl

Thanks for asking and MAYBE googling WebMD might have YOUR info - just sharing - I am so glad YOUR here and CONGRATS on nicotine freedom

0 Kudos