cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Elyse_x

Cravings Last Hours

An ex-smoker recently told me, "a cigarette craving lasts 180 seconds." (???)

My cravings last all day long!!!!!!!! Can this be true?? 

The cravings make me so impatient and so emotional- I am at my worst when I want a cigarette. I talk about it all day. I have not bought a pack since the new year (almost a month!) but am dependent on Nicorette. It seems like satisfying the nicotine craving is only PART of the problem- I really liked actually smoking. I understand that I have to stop, it's been nearly ten years since I started. Almost none of my friends smoke anymore- they all quit and now its just me. 

Do cravings actually have time limits? Is this just psychological? 

13 Replies
desiree465

They do not have time limits. Some of your cravings are withdraw but others are mental. I had cravings even after I was off nicotine for some time. I still get them every once in a blue moon. What you're going through is normal. Quitting is hard but you can do this and I promise it does get easier. I would always try to make a list of all the good things I was experiencing because of my quit when I was having a rough time, it helped me a lot. 

Elyse_x

Thank you! Making a list is a great idea, it's hard to remember how much better I feel 

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

Craving last longer when you focus on them.  Distract yourself by doing something else.  And remind yourself that cravings are just a side effect of quitting.  They will lessen in time.  As for liking smoking..that's the addiction talking.  Nicotine shoots "feel good" signals to the brain while also killing the rest of the body.  There is truly nothing enjoyable about burning paper by your face while sucking in the smoke.  Congrats on your quit!!  My gentle suggestion is reading up on addiction so you better understand what's going on in your head.  

Elyse_x

Thanks for your help, would you recommend any resources? I honestly haven't look very much at the scientific side of it in the past because it would make me so depressed. This is the farthest I've gotten as far as *actually* quitting goes- I don't know if I'll ever completely undo the feeling of "liking" it but I should probably start with the language I am using. 

SimplySheri

It helped me to understand the addiction part of it because once I understood that my brain wasn't "working" properly, I could stop acting on my thoughts.  In other words, when I thought I would simply go crazy if I didn't smoke, I finally understood that was just my brain reacting to the lack of nicotine.  That's all.  I actually googled "nicotine addiction", but there is great information right here on ex.  Explore it all   You've got a good start so keep it up!

JACKIE1-25-15

If you become tense it can cause it to last longer.  It is better if you learn to relax when a craving happens.    Breathing relaxation and meditation can help. 

sweetplt

Elyse_x 

Hi and Welcome, 

First, we all liked smoking or we wouldn’t have done it.  Next, I wouldn’t listen to anyone until I got all the facts.  Have you worked on your “quit plan “ on this site.  It talks much about craves.  Yes craves come and most last a few seconds especially if you redirect them.  I find I won’t concentrate on the crave, but do something active and eventually goes away.  No one ever died from a crave.  Preparation and Determination are truly the key.  Lastly, it’s an addiction and the cycle needs to be broken and then you can start living your life.  Join us and have a beautiful Friday. Colleen aka sweetp

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome.  There's lots of material on this site explaining nicotine addiction, triggers, tools, etc.  You can search by titles. I read lots on material on the internet - just google nicotine addiction, withdrawal, etc.  Then there's Allen Carr's book "Easy Way to Stop Smoking ". I don't agree with him that's it's easy, but the book is very helpful.

MarilynH

Welcome to the community please read everything you can about quitting smoking and remaining quit because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT it's absolutely Doable and totally worth it to be able to go anywhere anytime whenever wherever and however without wondering where you can sneak off to in a corner somewhere to have a smoke......