cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

RHRS

Constantly out of breath

Hey guys, quick Q - I'm on my 51st smoke-free day (yay to me!) and as the days go by, I find myself having more out-of-breath episodes. I had my annual physical a couple weeks ago and results came normal - a bit high cholesterol and liver numbers, but nothing a good diet and more water can't fix - and my doctor gave me a stronger allergy medication and upped my inhaler use. I used to have Asthma, so I wonder if it's coming back, or it's just a normal process of my lungs cleaning themselves. I'm exercising 3X week with a trainer but these are intense workouts and yes and I expect to be out of breath during training. 

My question is, has anyone had respiratory issues after quitting? Or is it my anxiety?

Thank you. 

6 Replies
AnnetteMM

Probably so many factors at play!  

1. It's Spring!  So much pollen right now.
  2. Your lungs are working overtime and better than ever.
  3. Maybe anxiety too?
  4. I had lung pain for quite awhile after I quit, never knew why.

As long as your doctor says all is well, try not to worry about it, but take care of yourself and maybe not so intense in the workouts for a bit.

RHRS

Thank you Annette, 

You're probably right, Spring/Anxiety/CleanLungs. I'm following up with my Dr. in 4 months. 

pollen-death-star-any-questions-21101901.png

AnnetteMM

Fellow Geek!

0 Kudos
Giulia

I'm guessing it's probably what Annette suggested.  One way to find out if it's anxiety related is to just pause and take a few long, slow deep breaths.  If that fixes the out-of-breath episodes then it's probably anxiety.  Just guessing here.

Just curious, did your Doctor also administer a Spirometry Test at this last physical? If not, I would call him back and insist on one! Yes, it could be all of the above or there could be lung damage - a Spirometry Test can clarify. In fact, anybody who has smoked more than 100 Sickerettes in their lives needs to get a Spirometry Test. If there's no damage - sleep well knowing that you are the lucky one because the odds of lung damage from smoking ranges between 25-50% depending on what source you read. I don't know about you but I don't like those odds even at 25%! I lost that gamble many Years ago and am paying for it now.

I know nothing, but the thing that stands out to me in your post is the intense workout. You might want to lay off until your body finishes healing from the years of smoking. Intense workouts for someone who's not used to it can cause a plethora of issues. If you've always worked out then just ignore my comment.