cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Superjenn82

Consequence for teen vaping

I’ve recently learned my 16 yr old is vaping THC. I’m struggling with how to discipline him now that I’ve found out. Or should I even discipline at all? We’ve talked about the dangers of using THC at his age due to his brain not being fully developed and such. The dangers of vaping in general. The peer pressure gets to him. Plus he uses it as a coping mechanism. Should we drug test him on a weekly basis? Take away privileges? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Superjenn82 Welcome.  I have a teen myself.  If I was faced with that situation I would talk with them and try to understand things from their perspective to understand why they're doing it and how we could figure out how they could manage their life in a different way. Work to offer to assist them.  If they're faced by peer pressure to use THC and/or vape then they might not be hanging out with the right crowd. Often I help my child understand what are healthy relationship practices and what are unhealthy.  Hopefully your child can navigate the situation and help their friends find other ways to occupy their time. Encourage them to be the leader amongst their friends and choose to focus on things that are additive to their lives.

Think about what's important to them and talk about their goals and what possible scenarios could happen if they were caught. Often my teen doesn't think fully about their actions and possible consequences to their future life based on their actions. Help them draw their own conclusions.

We do have www.thisisquitting.com and possibly it would help them with vaping in general. Perhaps have them check it out.  

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@CommunityAdmin & @Superjenn82 

I don't have any teens so I have no advice to share, but this made me think, are these separate issues ?

Some teens could  be vaping nicotine, some THC and  some  maybe both.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Barbscloud Correct. @Superjenn82 's teen may be using only THC or possibly both.  Our program is focused mostly on vaping using tobacco based nicotine products but it could be helpful to check out the program and see if the teen connects with it.

EX Community Admin Team