cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dawnsw

Colorado Quitters

Hello!  I lost my fater at 62 to lung cancer.

I am 39 and was diagnosed with emphysema 2 weeks ago!  I am very scared but I still have not been able to give up smoking completely and need support!  I have just joined this website and hope to meet alot of people going through the same thing!  Good luck to you and will look forward to hearing back from you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
dawnsw

I meant my father

0 Kudos

I really need help with the whole quit smokeing thing and could use a friend to help, please let me know where you r in your process to quit smokeing!

0 Kudos
ambersmith

My name is Amber, I live in Longmont,CO. I am 23 and had been smoking since I was 12yrs old. It started just as trying to be cool and then ended up being a real problem. This past weekend I decided I was going to quit cold turkey I threw away all of my cigarettes on Sat night put the nicotine patch on and have not picked up a cigarette. I feel great. Yesterday (Sunday) I was feeling real depressed I felt like I had lost my bestfriend. When I was sad I would smoke, when I was bored I would smoke, it seemed as though that was all I had. I have a wonderful support group at work, my co workers are awesome, one of them actually has been doing sweet little things to reward me and help me think positive. A coulple things that have helped me that I want to share with you. I kept thinking to myself I will quit when I am ready, when are you ever going to be ready? Think about it, you never will be if you love smoking as much as me. I just took my car to a car wash and went to town lol, I cleaned my car so good so that it would not remind me or smoking, I still take breaks at work but I walk and get fresh air. I go off the saying out of sight out of mind. You can do anything you want sweetie you just really need to put your mind to it.

0 Kudos

I live in Fountain, CO right next to Clorado Springs.  We are a military faMILY.  My hubby is stationed on Ft. Carson, but we live off base.  I would also like buddies going threw this.  My stop date was 4/1/10 but I ended up quitting earlier.  My quit day was 3/17/10 and im scared to death to even take one drag.  Im not going back as I watched my mother and sister, both smokers die.  My mother was 47, my sister was 40!  I am 51, and a breat cancer and cervical cancer survivor.  I have tried to quit many many times.  What worked for me was Chantix.  I wasnt suppose  to quit till 4/1/10, but 2 weks after being on Chantix I woke up with no urge to smoke at all and that was my first smoke free day.  I  am going to learn how to knit and crochet because I relize that Im not addicted to nicotine anhy more its just a matter of keeping my hands busy.  If anyone wants to keep intouch threw email mine is [email removed for privacy], and my name is Linda.  I think support is what makes the difference between the quitters  ant the ones that dont make it.  take care and God bless you all.......Linda

Edited by Mark‌ for privacy.

0 Kudos
ambersmith

Linda,

That is awesome, I am glad that you are not following your family's step's, sometimes you have to break the chain. I am also proud of you that you quit earlier than your quit date AMAZING!!!! Support does make a difference., I too have not smoked since last Sat... today will be one week. It has been a little hard for me but I am getting through it... Have a wonderful week and stay strong!

0 Kudos

Amber,

Week one congrads, Im on day 10, but it feels like its been 100 days.  I have to take each day at a time.  I give you a lot of credit, your not on Chantix like me.  I tried to quit your way and it didnt work.  It takes a lot of determination, and will power, and strenghth to quit your way.  I very much admire you for that.  Im just learning to stay away from my trigger places.  I was doing fine in the house I didnt think going out was going to open a whole lot of new doors!!!  Again congrads and keep it up, if you can come this far the way u did u can go all the way, by now you withdrawal symptoms should be almost gone.  Mine were gone after one week as long as I stayed inside.  The other stuff is just a learned behavior that I taught myself, with various situations, so if I can teach myself at home then I can teach myself in the ouside world.  Have a great weeken d, keep it up, and God bless!

0 Kudos