cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

AutumnWoman

Closet Smokers

I figured I had better join this group because I'm often home alone and my husband still smokes, which I could see as an open invitation to have a cigarette. This is Day 5 for me smoke-free, probably because I've been spending a lot of time on this site. I have to keep it in the front of my mind that regardless of whether my husband continues to smoke, I need to stay stopped.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
77 Replies
AutumnWoman

I think a good antidote for my closet smoking is to keep myself out and about. When I smoked, it was always in my home. So to avoid a relapse this weekend while I'm alone, I've planned a bunch of activities to keep me busy and smoke-free. Wish me luck!
0 Kudos
andrea5

Hi. Today is my first day here. Most people in my life think that I quit smoking months ago with just the rare occassional relapse, truth is I have been smoking regularly just in less quantity and frequency than before. I never lie about it if I am directly asked, but go to great lengths to hide it. Like doing laundry, showering, etc to hide it from those close to me. I feel like so much is new in my life that smoking has been a part of me for so long.. I went from a pack or more a day to a pack a week max, and have decided to finally go the extra mile. Because I have hidden my failure for so long, I have lost a lot of support options in my life, that is without exposing my secret.. So here's hoping that by starting out honest here, we can maybe help each other past the hurdles.
0 Kudos
patricia18

I really don't think that I am fooling anyone in my family in regards to my smoking. I hide it for my husband, and I know he knows I smoke, he has to smell it on me.
0 Kudos
mary45

My husband has always fought and guilt tripped me about my smoking which made it worse and so I just won't tell him. I think it makes him more mad that I lie but I can't take the guilt trips and I am sure he still he knows.
0 Kudos
sportsbabe

I am tired of sneaking around...most people know I smoke, but considering my job...I hide it at work...but I am sure that people know...Apparently I think when I sit in my car in the parking lot...I have entered an invisible shield....
0 Kudos
liz7

My boyfriend doesn't know I smoke again. I quit right when we started dating over a year ago. I know he knows because he'll make subtle comments every so often. I feel like crap for hiding it but he doesn't understand how hard it is. When I quit the first time, he told me its not that hard and he didn't know why it was such a big deal. I'm not quitting for him, I'm quitting for myself but not hiding it is a bonus.
0 Kudos
sumthin2say

I've been a closet smoker for years now. I just came out and told my 13 yr old son and he was shocked.... I can't tell my mom, she thinks I quit over 13 years ago and I don't smoke at work. I am tired of hiding this and I hate the way I smell and the taste in my mouth so why keep doing this.... I dont understand the psychology of secret smoking but I think for me it is something I felt like I controlled.... I liked the idea of keeping busy cause I also smoke at home and mostly when I am bored. Haven't had a cig since Monday night so it's been nearly a week.... but I have been craving them quite a bit since last night. Think I will clean my bathroom and rake leaves today to saty busy....
0 Kudos
Renee20

Well, my closet friends, I'm back......going to try this again. This time I hate the whole smoke thing even more....the smell, the way I feel, the sneaking....all of it.
  This time......kicking butts.
0 Kudos
randi2

hello, i'm new to this forum and i'm definitely a closet smoker. not amongst friends, but i'm always trying to hide it from my family and from my clients. i walk around w/ cinnamint gum, hand cream, lip balm to cover up smells. I have febreeze spray for my clothes, air freshener plug-ins in my apt. i never let any family members come over and always say, "my place is a real mess, so i don't want you coming up."

So, one of the big things about smoking for me is the smell... as a closet smoker, i spend so much time and mental energy on covering up the smell. It really is a big energy-drain and I don't like how hiding the fact that I smoke really takes up energy where I could put it to better use.

Just thought I'd share that with all of you...
0 Kudos