cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rachael6

Chewing Tobacco

i don't chew but i'm here if need help. just let me know!!!
Labels (1)
35 Replies
sam-s.

hello,

im 20, have been dipping around a tin/2 days for 3 years now. very few people know about it (only my brothers and a couple of close friends). went through a long relationship with a girl without her ever knowing. the reason that i don't let people know is because i can't justify it and i feel weak for not being able to quit. managed to stay off it for the summer after high school, but got right back into it once college started.
0 Kudos
mark1

I have been smoke and chewing tobacco free for 18 months now after maintaining both habits heavily for 13 years. A pack a day and a can of Copenhagen every 2-3 days. Do I miss it? From time to time, but it is a faint memory of who I used to be. I would not go back to that way of life after all the hard work I have put in to excommunicate myself from the nicotine addiction that was largely in control of my life. Plus, after all that I have learned during the most difficult times of quitting, I am too educated now to make that decision to give in to nicotine when I feel like I need help. I can do it on my own without a crutch like a smoke or chew.

Here is some advice. If you start your quit date and you have all your best intentions in quitting despite the nervousness, you have begun quitting. It is common to give in during the first couple months. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE A SMOKER AGAIN OR CHEWER! It means you got knocked down. SO GET BACK UP ON YOUR OWN! I will not lie, you will be tested by every situation in your life that causes stress, even things that are not stressful will test you. One of the lies that your mind will tell you is that during your main quitting period, the first three months, is that when you do give in, that YOU HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN. THIS IS A LIE! Do not believe it. keep moving forward toward your goal. Quitting at times will take everything out of you, rest may be needed or a break. One thing that helped at times was not chewing gum, but some soda or anything with some sugar in it. Remember though, the sugar thing will have to come to an end as well in order not to replace one habit to another. The sugar helps in giving a boost when needed to get through this difficult time.

Keep moving forward and do not dwell on guilt that you gave in. Guilt. It is the uppercut to the jaw when you least expect. But, once you realize that you are laying face down on the canvas because of the guilt (depressed), GET UP! You can and will stand up to it again, this time with the knowledge that guilt can sneak up on you at any time, which is preparation for your next bout that will soon take place. As long as you keep getting back up on your own, you will win the fight in the end. The beauty is, the fight ends when you no longer have the feeling to fight or the need to fight the habit. You will have gained control over your life the way it was meant to be, more aware and conscious of who you are at your deepest level.

I know this is a long post, but I wanted to pass what I have learned over the past 18 months because I know exactly what all of you are going through and know there are a lot of questions in the beginning. Some of you are probably seeking advice from non smokers, and feel that it does not help. Furthest from the truth, since those who are listening to you are supporting you, just the answers are not at the level you are hoping to hear. This is why you are in here trying to find others who hear you and can relate. I did the same thing on another website for a brief time just to read what others had to say about quitting. It helped.

I hope I did as well.
cheerkain

To Whom it may concern,

I used to chew about a tin every 3-4 days and I was a closet case similar to Sam S.  I felt weak for not being able to quit, and I thought it was shameful enough that I did it without many people knowing.  Only my close friends knew.  However I was lucky enough to get a job that moved me to New Zealand, and then Australia.  When I first got here I looked for chewing tobacco but wasn't able to find it.  I didn't look too hard though because I was searching for a way to quit for quite some time.  I have now been tobacco free for about a year and a half.  I will however be heading back to the States in January, and just hope that I will be able to stay tobacco free when I get there.  I think it should be easy though.  I personally cannot stand the smell of smoke, and I have asthma too, so smoking was and is never an option.  However I don't even crave it anymore.  I am feeling pretty confident, but only time will tell.

Thank you to everyone who is willing to listen and I hope everyone can be as fortunate/successful with quitting as I have.

0 Kudos
warrenglo03

I have dipped since I was 17 (am 25 now) off and on.  I have never really had a big problem with withdrawals, it is the triggers they talk about on this website.  Also, the fact that dip is easier to keep a secret from everyone helps a lot in maintaining the lie that I am nicotine free.  I never liked dipping around people so I would smoke in social situations, which I did for a couple of years.  Now, I am at least cigarette free however, the dip has got to go.  It makes me feel like crap when I do it but when I do not dip for a few days, I feel like something is missing.  Its almost turned into this love-hate relationship, or like a bad ex-gf you just can't get out of your head.  I am going to try and work on the triggers and see how it helps, I just want to end this cycle. 

0 Kudos
liana3

6 days and counting also i have working hard to keep busy got my crown done and my son glasses today 

0 Kudos
indnprincess

See kickthecan.com

0 Kudos
ronc

Hi, I'm new, quit Chewing last week.  2 weeks on Chantix, things great so far....

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome ronc

It's been a bit since this part of the community has been active. No worries, glad you found us and posted. The only person I recognize is DOCmarkC‌, since I've been managing the community. Perhaps some others( indnprincess ,  liana3jay3 and Demando )  will stop by and let us know how they are.  Great to hear that you're using Chantix if that will help you stop.  We do have Chantix-ers‌ and there is also many who have experience with nicotine addiction in our Conversations‌. So please don't limit yourself in getting the support you need to just Chewing Tobacco‌ group.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Ronwv

My primary nic supply was using Skoal original Wintergreen and went to Copenhagen. Wintergreen Long Cut.i use them from the time I get up to bed.

I did smoke whatever brand my wife smoked at the time. But usually just about 4/5 a day. When I did get a pack. I smoked and had a dip at the same time and smoked like a chimney. My lungs and chest hurt like hell and yet I kept going. Having asthma ,ended up in the hospital for pneumonia.

I did quit smoking cigs about 2 years ago but still have nic in control of me.

I am quitting on the 5 of Nov 2019 and can't wait for my new journey to start.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ronwv‌  How are you doing?  I'm not sure how many people are still active in this thread. Hopefully there are a couple that were chewers that have quit and can impart some knowledge from their experiences and share what worked for them and also what didn't.

Mark

EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos