cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Beni678

Can anyone please motivate me to stop smoking?

Jump to solution

i been trying to not smoke at all since Sunday. I'm only 17. I really need help guys. It's really hard for and been struggling for the past 3days. I don't know if I'll be able to keep this up..

14 Replies
bonniebee

Amazing how quickly one becomes to nicotine ! I knew within a few weeks of steady smoking that I was already hooked but that was way back in 1963 now 52 years later i have finally succeeded in quittiing for 27 months ! don't let that be you first off you may not make it this long  like Kim said above you never know how much a body can take we are all different in that regard . You will notice if you stick around how many Ex'ers are sick with smoking related illnesses . I had heart trouble last summer which may be related to my past smoking .  

sayings welcome we are glad you are here.jpgsayings quit smoking self talk.jpgSmoking is such a waste of your health ,time and money don't live in bondage to Ole Nic throw him out the door now while you are young and healthy ! 

Think positive thoughts only your mind is powerful ,,,you are what you think !sayings quit smoking 2 (2).jpg

0 Kudos
Giulia

Of COURSE you can keep this up.  If we old fogies can, YOU can.  You ever learned to play a sport?  Ride a bike?  Learn to swim?  Play the piano?  I'll bet you have.  You got out there and you practice, dedicate yourself to task, and you learn new tips and your practice and you read and you practice and...  Quitting isn't that much different.  Think of it as a fantastic empowering challenge!  You conquer this (which you can) and you can conquer the world.  It's a feather in your cap.  It's something to brag about.  Come on Braveheart, you can do this!  We're all standing right beside you.  Take a big bite out of aaaarggh and push through!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

"Take a big bite out of aaaarggh and push through!"

Great advice for ANY challenge!

And - boy do you, I and a bunch of others here have them!!!

0 Kudos
pongaselo

You are 17. The tobacco industry, growers, chemists, advertising companies, people who distribute and sell these products are happy that you smoked, they are thrilled that after 3 days quit, even though the nicotine has more or less worn out its welcome, their advertising brainwashing has you so sold that you honestly don't think you have a chance of quitting.  If I were you, I would be enraged at them for poisoning you to make a buck and every time the urge hits you remember how little you like being used.  They just don't give shit about you.  Picking bad friends is generally expensive and disappointing. You may have picked another bad friend or significant other even at your young age.  It always sucks. finding out that they weren't friends at all. Of course no one wants to admit that their folks were right. At 17, I knew that I was an absolute genius. I looked back at 27 and laughed my ass off.  Did the same thing at 37, 47, 57 and 67.  When I got married, my wife asked me to quit smoking as a wedding present. I quit for 20 yrs and there are very few things that I am prouder of in terms of accomplishments. I also vastly regret going back to smoking the 3 times that I did after that.  Every time, I convinced myself that I would win the approval of someone. Each time I lost the respect of the people around me.  I did make a new friend each time, the tobacco scum. Just decide who you want to be. That will tell you more than any of us here can and you will know what to do.  I really like the S. Korean expression for encouragement in a new enterprise. One word, " Fighting", good choice.  

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are things with you?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team