cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Blue_Skies

Can I quit just for 10 minutes?

I feel like I've tried 1000 things to quit, but I keep caving. I'm the type of person that keeps thinking to myself "I'll quit tomorrow" or "I'll just smoke right now and not again." This thought process keeps going on every single day and I'm never able to fully quit. I'll quit briefly, but then I'll cave to the thought that I'll "just smoke this once."

Has anyone had success by trying to do just the opposite? By saying something along the lines of "I just won't smoke for the next 10 minutes" every time you have an urge to smoke, and by starting over with the 10 minutes with every new urge? Is it possible to turn this into a permanent habit and then continue it forever?

I've been telling myself this for the last hour (have needed to do it at least 20 times), but so far it's been a success. Does anyone know if this can turn into a permanent success?

Thank you to those who respond!

25 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and I have no statistics on quitting for 10 minutes.  However, for me I often didn’t smoke an entire day and never thought that was going to turn into a quit.  For me, I had to work the program and make a quit date.  I think you need to do what is right for you, but I think you need to schedule that Quit date and take the plunge.  No one ever died from a crave or quitting.  You can do this, one step in front of another...Colleen aka sweetp

TW517

That's exactly how I quit.  Seriously.  And after a couple of days saying, "I won't smoke for the next 10 minutes" every time I got the urge, I was then able to go for 20-30 without an urge.  And then an hour or two.  And then, I'd promise to just get through the morning (or evening).  Then it was a whole day.  Then a week, a month, and so on.

desiree465

As you can read lots and lots of people quit that way. But Giulia is correct, you need to learn other coping mechanisms to deal with those cravings, use as many as you can. Whether it's the mantra NOPE, sticking your head in the freezer, doing some breathing exercises or coming on this site. At least that's how I got through, using as many tools as I could. 

beazel

Yes, it sure can turn into a permanent success! Sometimes it's one moment at a time for sure.

I do agree that it's imperative to get rid of the cigarettes. Commit to the quit. You can do it!!!

Smoking Is Not An Option......No. Matter. What.

elvan

WOW, look at all of the people behind you, the advice you have gotten is the absolute best...ALL of it, you do not have to do this alone, it is best if you accept that this is an addiction and that recovery really is a one day or one step at a time journey.  Committing really is important, we can help with education and we can obviously supply lots of support but you have to bring the commitment to your quit. You have to come to the point where you decide you will not smoke, no matter what.

Ellen

maryfreecig

Quit tricks are very handy for getting through all sorts of smoke-a-holic thinking. If your ten minutes works for you keep it up. Stick with Ex, so many smober people here and lots of addiction information. The more you open your eyes the less tricky you have to be to stay smober. I had a bag full of tricks because I knew I'd try to double back on my decision to quit! Yes you can, one day at a time!

jconfusion

the biggest first step to do is to decide you are done and are going to quit  and stick to it.  I used Nicorette  gum for three months the 3rd months to ween myself off the gum it help with me going through withdraw pains.

you need to get ride of all your ashtrays lighters   I even got my apartment repainted because it reeked of smoke and stop hanging out with smokers just in the beginning.  outta sight outta mind.  and ya don't know how strong you are until you've tried, really tried lol.  we are one big huge quitting smoking family now!! goodluck!

Blue_Skies

I had to turn to nicotine patches because the cravings simply became too strong to even commit to the "just ten minutes" of not smoking. It's worked great so far and I try to use the least amount of nicotine each day. I cut a 21mg patch into halves and quarters and have been using either 1/2 or 1/4 of a patch in the morning and then another 1/4 in the afternoon because I start getting strong cravings again. This has seemed to be the best method for me. I know the instructions say to not cut the patches in pieces, but I've followed the instructions a few months ago by using an entire patch in the morning, but the cravings returned in the afternoon and I would cave to them. Also, the patches all cost the same amount (21mg, 14mg, and 7mg) and they're pretty expensive. By cutting them and using the lowest dose I need to prevent relapsing, it seems like I can save a bunch of money.

I'm a little worried that the strong urges will return once I wean off of them (planning on doing the same 3-month timing as you). Did you find it difficult when you were weaning off? Also, do you still use an occasional nicotine gum if you ever get urges? I tend to relapse when I drink with my friends (even though they don't smoke), and I was thinking about still putting a patch on if I ever go out once I stop using daily patches.

anaussiemom

You didnt turn to anything bad.  It is a step up to your progress.   Be proud of what you are accomplishing each moment Kudo!   Blue_Skies

qIPD7fy.jpg  One step at a time.   One step up at a time!!!  Bravo!!!Blue_Skies
Blue_Skies

Hugs KIm
0 Kudos
marciem

Blue_Skies wrote:

I tend to relapse when I drink with my friends (even though they don't smoke), and I was thinking about still putting a patch on if I ever go out once I stop using daily patches.

Two points I'd like to address here, Blue_Skies

1.  When you go out drinking with friends, always have a PLAN in place, before you start drinking, of what you will do if/when a crave arrives after you start drinking.  Get up, move around, pop in a hard candy, something simple but effective to do instead of smoking.  A plan that won't be forgotten if you get fuzzy-brained.  Alcohol is pretty much the #1 quit-killer that I've seen, so extreme moderation, along with a PLAN, your first times out is a good idea.  Enlisting a non-smoking friend's help is also not a bad thing.

2.  Once you have stopped the nicotine patches, there is absolutely no benefit to putting one on again.  You've gone past the physical addiction, which is all that patches treat.  Any urges ("craves") you might feel while drinking or doing other things are part of the more long-term whatever you want to call it, behavioral/psychological/mental part of smoking & quitting, which really  takes longer to get beyond.  Those behaviors are what you should be working on while using patches... doing something different instead of smoking.  No rush on quitting the patches, but once you do stop them, don't go back, is what I'm saying.

Do not reintroduce nicotine once you've stopped using NRT.  The Law of Addiction could come into play.

from Whyquit.com:   Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment
of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance.

Best to you!