cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Swilliams1

Can I please get someone who is an "ex" tell me. How?

I keep trying and I am starting to feel like ...no words a real weak person...they smell & I know I must stop but., How do I begin? Apologize if I sound silly. My 1st post How to Begin?

21 Replies
Swilliams1

Thanks Everyone❤❤reading reading & reading. Great Advice Thanks a bunch!!

I can do this 

BostonGirl

Your actual question "How", was answered by you!  You reach out here on this site, and all the help and info you need will come to you!  You started your quit when you logged on!!!  Congratulations and Welcome to the Family!  This is a wonderful family to be a part of!

Donna 31 DOF

fmorris

• I have implemented more fruit in my diet re weight control. With the extra money from the past "insidious habit - I can afford more fruit".  
  • Cleaning helps me tremendously.
  • Coloring with brilliant colored markers in a coloring book that takes time to complete.
  • Word searches.
  • A lot of karaoke at home.{ I have a Bluetooth microphone that one of my children purchased for me for my bday. I'm sure she is sorry for getting it for me}. LOL
  • I wore the patch & chewed gum.

I started going to bed earlier as well. Apprehensive that the cravings were going to over -power me.

Anything that you go through may seem weird but in the end its all about what worked for ME & how much I  WANTED TO BE IN CONTROL of what "I don't do anymore". Instead of allowing it to control ME.

• The craving will last for 5-8 LONNNGGG minutes; as you probably already know. Therefore, its what  you do between that time when it begins & when it ends. I'm still an emotional wreck & the slightest thing usually gets on my last nerve.  I don't feel quite like myself. Feels as though something is missing or I forgot to do something. This is normal. As well as from day to day. All in all I am grateful & happy. 

I've stopped keeping track of when I stopped. Even that started getting on my nerves.  

Stay strong.

elvan

You have gotten some GREAT advice...the reading is so important, you cannot be too educated about nicotine addiction, you have already been advised to read lots of different things.  I found that I came here every morning and every evening and that the support and knowledge I got from this site were and still are priceless.  Education, support, and COMMITMENT. You bring the commitment, you make your plan, you know what you will do instead of smoking, and you celebrate each and every day of freedom.  You are taking your life back from the clutches of addiction and it is so worth it.  It is not easy but it IS possible.  You CAN do it...you have the tools and you have the support...my mantra was NOPE, Not One Puff Ever and I also used "I don't do that any more."  One of my absolute favorites comes from OldBones-Larry‌ "One step, and then another, will get you to where you want to be."  Keep it in the moment and know that all you have to do is to get through one crave at a time and each time, you will be stronger.  I so wish I had quit years and years ago, before I did irreversible damage.  I can go forward from this place and I can do everything I can to take care of myself and to offer support to others who are quitting...getting support and giving support keep my quit going.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

Mommamich

I am a new EX so I don't have the experience or knowledge of many on here so all I can add is what has worked for me. First you have to commit to quit. Don't wish it or want it, just do it. I found that dwelling on it made it worse so I treat it like anything bad and remove, accept, and move on. There will be struggles and it can seem horrible but I tell myself I am a fighter and have beat much worse. Get hobbies, take walks, and enjoy some YOU time. On my walks I take pictures of my travels, HA ha. This is for my quit journal. I've memorized my back yard down to every stone. Most important...........laugh. Good Luck, we've got your back.

Michele

Daddyf4

Hello, I too was once in your shoes. I know that feeling. But hang in there, November of this year will be 6 years for me. One day I stopped and never touched them again. It was one of the hardest things I ever did in my life but I am so glad I did. I breath better and smell better now. Hang in there. Reach out to me if you need. I used this source daily for strength and it really helps. 

Dadman2

It is actually much easier than most of us suppose. However it took the follow conditions for me to finally quit after nearly 30 years (just passed my 6 year quit date)

1) Read Alan Carr's book.

2) If you have a spouse who smokes, it will be  more difficult if he/she does not also quit. On my final attempt, my wife also quit for good.

3) If you spend time around friends or coworkers who also smoke, it will more difficult if you continue to spend time with them when they smoke. On my final attempt, I had nearly completed my migration from commuting to the office to working from home.  I was no longer tempted to go hang out on the smoking deck at work to get out of my office.

4) If you don't do exercise/aerobic activity that increases your heart rate on a regular basis, start now, at whatever level your health/doctor/etc. will permit and work your way up.

#4 was the magic key for me. I live in an area with a plethora of trails, and never took advantage of the amazing trail network, even though I have always loved trails. I started to ride my bike again after years. Then for laughs and giggles, I thought, "what would happen if I try to run 2 miles?" At first, it was horrible, but I kind of liked it and became hooked. After that first run, I never wanted to smoke again. Then to keep up the habit, I started a basic couch-to-5K program, and again -- you run a few miles, you do NOT want to smoke. You don't even THINK about smoking. I am now running half marathons. I regret that 30 years of smoking will probably prevent me from ever getting from 8.5 minute miles to 7.5 minute miles, but it's better than dying and it still feels great.

If you can't or don't like running, then find something else. Bike. Tennis. Hike. Swim. Anything that makes you breathe harder and gets your heart rate up. If .you have other health issues, talk to your doctor about a suitable activity. The key is to find an activity that not only makes you NOT want to smoke, but you actually forget about it...so that you don't even think about it. This site was great for me for the first couple of weeks, but honestly I stopped coming here because I just kind of turned my back on smoking and never looked back. 

Good luck.

DLHaffner

dear @Swilliams1!  Welcome!  I see a lot of the awesome elders on this site have already shared their excellent experience with you.  I read Allen Carr's book the easy way to quit smoking...BUT  I did that almost a year before I actually quit.  At the end of the book I think he tells you to stop smoking but I stopped reading about 3 pages before the end because I knew I couldn't quit.  I thought about it all the time, I thought smoking is disgusting.  It stinks, it makes my teeth and hands yellow, my car stinks...I live in CA and EVERYWHERE is none smoking even some entire cities are none smoking now AND they just raised the price to over $8 a pack this year...so I had a million reasons to quit...but I knew I couldn't.  I never even made it an entire day when I tried.  But Allen Carr talked about how we're really giving up a lot more by continuing to smoke....friends, family, health, money....the only thing I give up when I stop smoking is a cigarette...and I gain all that other stuff back.  I don't know...I guess it took almost a year for the idea that I was giving up a lot to keep smoking and I would gain a lot if I quit to sink in.  I did have a health issue, that wasn't directly related to smoking but I am pretty sure smoking contributed, and then I decided you know what I'm sick of being owned by big tobacco. 

Then really without much planning I decided you know what I'm done!  I logged onto this site and asked a question about quitting just like you did...mine was should I patch it up or go smart turkey....I got a lot of support from the members of this site...then the next day I got on my knees in the morning and begged who ever runs this show to help me remain smoke free and I did not smoke.  I got to work without any cigarettes!!  It was seriously a miracle!!!  It was amazing that I went an entire morning...then the afternoon...I wasn't smoking and I was actually okay.  Was I spacey, yes, was I feeling weird, of course...but I wasn't dead and it was temporary.  Did you know nicotine is completely out of your system in 72 hours?  I read this site A LOT!  I identified triggers and made a plan to address them when they came up. I yelled NOPE (Not ONE PUFF EVER) at the top of my lungs when I'd see someone near me smoking.  I ate a crap load of candies and drank a lot of water...I blogged on this site- twice a day in the beginning...I did anything except smoke.  Today I celebrate 200 days smoke and nicotine free.  I went smart turkey.  My husband still smokes and I, by the grace of God, haven't had to join.  It's crazy.  If I can do it, so can you!  Honestly, it wasn't that bad.  It's actually really, really, really nice to not be burdened with the need to get cigarettes, find a place to smoke, then avoid everyone so I don't offend them with my stinky smokey presence.  It's actually easier to not smoke.  I do still think about it but it's getting way better and I know the thoughts will pass, I use the tools and tips I learned from this site and others. 

Anyway, good luck to you!  Keep trying!  Don't give up!  In closing...I give a quote I thought of a lot when I was "trying" to  quit...

tumblr_nrnfxmJinG1rhha8yo1_640.jpg

Kim6

Hey friend. There is a way to become an ex. 

First, yu must set a date in the near future. Give yourself a week or two so you can mentally adjust. 

Second, STAY ON THIS WEBSITE!!  Blog when you’re trippin and needing a smoke. 

Third, register for your state local quit effort. In Colorado I had a web site sponsored by state that sent free nicotine patches (not recommended by me as the goal is to get past nicotine, not use a diff version) AND, the website would call to see if your staying straight. The guilt worked for me. I didn’t want to say, “yes I smoked   . “

Forth, keep in mind, each craving only lasts 1-2 minutes. When it happens, time it and muscle through. It WILL become less frequent. 

Fifth, have a plan for how you will handle each craving. You’ll time it on your watch, you’ll jump on the treadmill, you’ll watch a movie. MAKE A PLAN. 

Key milestones. First 3 hours, first 3 days. First week. First month. Mark the milestones on a calendar and CELEBRATE EACH ONE!!  

THE MORE PROUD YOU BECOME? The less likely you’ll EVER smoke again!!

And last, you’re friggin worth it!!  Do you really want to be all wrinkled up, dragging an oxygen tank? So not HOT!!

Plan, be determined, find your inner soldier!!  FIGHT!!  Take back your power!!  WIN!!

ONE LAST THING!! Nicotine is processed out of the body after seven days. After that it’s not physical, it’s mental. It’s up to your warrior inside to say “screw you cigs!”  I’m a warrior princess!!  I WILL WIN!!!’

Bellegonia

SWilliams1,

I didn't believe most of what they said here at first either but how could SO MANY people have the same experience? It wasn't like I was going to be an exception to the rule. I read a LOT and really examined my reasons for wanting to quit. I wrote out a list of my own Pros and Cons... I did a lot of the excersizes here they suggest. I picked my date. I started Chantix as prescribed. I quit in the evening and went to bed so I could wake up in the morning starting with fresh. I had a plan. I also quit drinking alcohol because I knew I couldn't drink w/o smoking.

I am quit day 26. It was NOT as hard as I thought it was going to be. My cravings are lessening. I can now have wine or a beer and not think about smoking so that's not even a month into it and I have slayed that dragon.

You CAN do this, we are all living proof! But it has to be YOUR decision.

Belle