cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Swanbird

CT Scan

I hope everyone  does  this.  Insurance covers it if not it’s only 50-60 dollars!  That’s five pack of cigarettes in some states.  And what a great way to spend the money you have saved.  Get a low dose CT scan of your chest.  Any doctor can order it.  It is an early screening of lung cancer.  Please do it if you haven’t already.  Many of my friends would have been saved had they done this!

28 Replies
Barbscloud

It can catch lung cancer earlier than a chest x-ray.

Why should you get a lung cancer screening test?

Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer-related death in America, but now there's hope. This screening is used to detect lung cancer early, when it is more likely to be curable. If lung cancer is caught before it spreads, the likelihood of surviving 5 years or more improves to 56 percent.*

About the low-dose lung cancer screening

A low-dose CT scan is a special kind of X-ray that takes multiple pictures as you lie on a table that slides in and out of the machine. A computer then combines these images into a detailed picture of your lungs.

A study on early detection of lung cancer found that the low-dose cancer screening test can reduce mortality for those at high risk. If you're a current or former smoker over the age of 55, you could be at risk.

Swanbird

.Because  I smoked for 30 plus years.  A chest X-ray will only show tumors that are already too late to correct.  I did it cause I wanted to know if I had COPD, emphysema, or lung cancer.  I recently quit smoking and wanted to know if I was clean I guess.  And I am entitled to have it every year as any smoker is.  I have had many friends who have passed away because their lung cancer wasn’t caught early enough and had already metastasized to another part of the body by the time it was caught.  this is a screening so that doesn’t happen.  I too begged my family practitioner but he  did not want to give it to me because he said if he did and it was clean I would never quit smoking.  He’s got a point.  But I did quit it took me about 10 months longer than it should have.  I finally went to a pulmonologist who agreed I should have the scan.

DonnaMarie

I'm still mulling it over. It's almost like I don't want to know. 

Donna

0 Kudos
Swanbird

I felt the same way but you do!  Because you will feel really great about the results and it they are not you can fix yourself.  DO IT DONNA!

elvan

I was terrified but so glad that I did it and that I knew I was clear after the first one.  Now, I go annually and I wouldn't miss it.  I understand the fear, I think we all do.

XOXO,

Ellen

SuzyQ411

Just last month, at my annual visit, my GP ordered the low dose scan series for me. I am now awaiting the results of my first scan. I am now quit for 17 days but have a smoking history of more than 60 years.

Swanbird

Good for you SuzyQ!!!!!  Stay strong!  Praying for good results.

SuzyQ411

Than you Swanbird‌ for your caring comments 🙂

virgomama

Thanks for this great information.  My rheumatologist just ordered an exray which came out clear.  Not sure why he wanted to do that but since I am an ex smoker I certainly didn't see the harm.  From this  discussion I will definitely pursue the CT scan.  

Thanks again.

Strudel

Wonderful blog! Like Marcie, I feel like a poster child for this screening. I quit after 40 years - over 9 years ago. I had the CT scan last February and it detected a “suspicious nodule”. That led to a PET scan which showed that it was cancer. I then had surgery last March. The surgeon removed the right lower lobe of my lung. It was Stage 1 with no lymph node involvement - and no need for chemo or radiation. I now get rescanned every 6 months for 2 years - then I can switch to once a year. Most of the time lung cancer is not found until it is Stage 4 - when it is often too late.....I consider myself VERY lucky! I think anyone with a long history of smoking should discuss having this test with their doctor. Thanks for posting about this!