cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Exvape

Burst Eye Blood Vessels.

Has anyone experienced the following? In the past few years I would periodically stop vaping because vaping appeared to cause the tiny blood vessels in my eyes to burst.  It was never painful but would make me look like I was in a horror movie.i went to the eye doctor who said my eyes were ok. I would stay off vapes for a while and my eyes would clear up. Eventually I’d start vaping again - always disposable Blu Cherry flavored disposables and within a few weeks my eyes would look bloody. I’ve googled this phenomenon and can’t find anything. My quit this time feels dramatically different. I feel resolved that I am done inhaling poison. Certainly the news about vaping related illness influenced my decision to quick, but I also don’t want to inflict damage to my eyes ever again. I would vape to reduce stress, to calm my nervousness, to relieve anxiety, to help me think through a problem. All of these efforts at soothing my jitters were doomed to fail because as we all know the calming effects of an electronic cigarette is an illusion. I simply could not get enough and needed to have a constant influx of nicotine throughout the day. I’m ready to face my days without nicotine. If I have to I’ll suck on pens at my desk, but I’m through with this insane chemical dependence. Freedom is always worth fighting for and I’m done with being an ecig slave. 

Labels (1)
7 Replies
Barbscloud

I certainly have no answer for this.  It's so new that medical research has happened yet to determine possible side effects like these.  Seems like you found the solution on your own--quit vaping.  Happy to hear you're feeling so positive about this quit.  Stay strong and reach out if you need support.

Barb

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

I feel resolved that I am done inhaling poison. 

There ya go! That's the key, right there. As is said here all the time, it's not willpower, it's willingness.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

In your case there seems to be a direct correlation between the eye trouble and vaping.  No idea why - but it is GOOD that you have decided to quit!!!

Your eyesight is a terrible thing to lose!  And - who knows where that might have ended?

Nancy

sweetplt

Keep that quit attitude going...~ Happy Sunday ~ Colleen 300 DOF 

0 Kudos
Giulia

I've never vaped, but I have experienced broken eye blood vessels.  And you're right, we look like we belong in a horror movie when you see it.  My broken vessels are due to "dry eye."  If your optimist (my husband's word for opthalmologist) says there's no problem, then....  Of course when smoking, one's eyes tend to dry out, especially if that smoke gets in your eye.  Certain drugs can also create dry eye.  If you've noticed the connection when vaping and broken vessels - well I say trust what your body is telling you.  Our bodies don't lie to us.

Here's one thing I found:  “I have to believe that repeated exposure to these vapors can cause the kind of oxidative damage that can worsen serious problems like macular degeneration and cataracts over time,” says Emily Chew, M.D., director of the Division of Epidemiology and Clinical Applications and the deputy clinical director at the National Eye Institute (NEI), National Institutes of Health (NIH). “Your eyes and your body can overcome only so much oxidative stress.”  (What Vaping Does to Your Vision )

Listen to that Best part of you and you'll never go wrong.

Exvape

thank you for that!

Have a great nicotine free day!

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 12:33 PM Giulia <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

elvan

I used to get those burst blood vessels in my eyes when I smoked, they never hurt and I never equated them with smoking but I am pretty sure I have not had any since I quit.  They do LOOK horrible.  You sound really committed and that's HUGE on this journey...keep it up.

Ellen