cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

Breathing Problem: Home from Dr. Appts.

Yesterday I asked if anyone had experienced shortness of breath after quitting. My sternum hurt and I could not get enough air and breathing was VERY shallow. I got in to the doc. office early this morning, thank god. I told him everything that had gone on and he said it could be several things; being anemic, h-pylori bacterial infection in my stomach, esophageal ulcer, and/or pulmonary embolism. My O2 level was a little low but it was due to lack of breathing normally. My lungs were clear and heart rate was good. I was so thankful he didn't not say the two dreaded C words, COPD and Cancer. I had an EKG which looked fine, quarts of blood drawn, and a CT scan with the dye. I've had so many holes poked in me I feel like the donkey in pin-the-tale-on-the-donkey!  My veins roll so there's about 5 holes in my arms. They just called and said the CT scan showed no embolism but a very slight ulcer was there. They told me to continue on the Prilosec that I had started taking about 5 days ago and called in an Rx for an antibiotic for the infection just in case. I'm so glad! If I could breathe better I'd be doing the happy dance right now. I'm going to try to eat something more than soup tonight.

I vividly remember watching my mother-in-law who had COPD wasting away and suffocating to death in hospice. It was horrifying to see and it got  worse every day. I was alone with her alone at the time and held her hand as she went. I had blocked the image (not the memory) for a long time but this experience brought it slamming back to my head. I will remember how scared I've been in the last 2 days, praying to GOD I wouldn't have the same diagnosis. Trust me, when you can't breathe right it scares the bejeesus out of you so if anyone here is new, struggling to stay on track, trying for the 2nd, 3rd, 104th time to quit those evil smokes please hang in there and hang out here! This experience has made me never wanting to pick up one of those killers again.

Julie

22 WONDERFUL DAYS OF NOT KILLING MYSELF!

7 Replies
vanlil

Sounds good to me!  Good things happening for you I am sure..

Lillian (vanlil) 521 dof

0 Kudos
Elle047

I’m so happy you went to doctor Julie! Hopefully you are on the mend now and your breathing will go back to normal ASAP. 

elvan

minihorses‌ I am SO glad that you went to the doctor and that all of those tests were done, what a relief.  I am pretty sure that you will be breathing much more easily.  I have had ulcers in the past and the best thing seemed to be several small meals a day, I HAVE COPD and you are so right that it is a wicked disease.  I am so glad you are alright and that you were cleared of anything cardiac or of a pulmonary embolism.   Congratulations on you 22 days of freedom!

Ellen

minihorses

Just got another call from the Dr. that's a bit disturbing. Upon further review of the CT scan they found a slight sign of Pericardial Effusion which they said meant there was the accumulation of too much fluid in the sac-like structure around the heart. It is very slight so it's just something we will watch. That is what's causing the sternum to hurt. I asked again about any signs of COPD or cancer since they had obviously gone over the scan again and they said there was nothing like that at all that showed up. So a little setback with the heart thing, but the lungs and everything were perfect. Still an overall victory for me. Sodium was a little low as usual and they want me to eat more salt. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do this because Baked Ruffles, pretzels, crackers, are my go-to junk food and I should get enough sodium through any easy to prepare meals I cook. I'm not a big fan of salt and my husband and family sure don't need it. I go next week to recheck labs. Gotta cook, but wanna sleep instead.

sleepy cat_edited.jpg

Julie

0 Kudos
elvan

minihorses  Maybe that pericardial effusion is from a recent infection...??? I am sure labs will improve and you will feel better, wish you COULD just sleep, you need to take care of yourself, Julie, you are tired because of all the stress from worrying about what was going on with your health and you NEED rest to recover completely.  I think things will be okay....do you eat any soups?  They are high in sodium.  Here is a link giving suggestions for increasing your serum sodium...How to Raise Your Blood Sodium Level: 13 Steps (with Pictures) One of the first suggestions is to decrease your water intake and drink sports drinks instead.  There are lots of different suggestions...AND picture...LOL.

0 Kudos
minihorses

Thanks elvan. I do try to take care of myself. Luckily, I'm not a big worrier. I do push myself because I feel that I've burdened my family enough over the past two years because of my knee. Now they've had to go back to taking care of all the critters including the ducks (I'm still raising one) and horses. But I'm sure with the meds I'll be back on my feet soon. I didn't even realize that Thanksgiving is in 2 days and I've got a 22 lb. turkey to thaw and pies to make!  Do you think 22 lbs. of turkey is enough to feed 4 people? 

Julie

0 Kudos
elvan

Hahahahaha....yeah, I think 22 lbs will do it now get to thawing!  Feel better.