cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Birthdays, mantras, determinations, oooohmmm

I turned 65 a couple days ago. I know, I know. Some of you have been here already, but I haven't, so it was sort of remarkable to me.

I decided to give myself the gift of continued good (and maybe better?) health. That includes keeping up with my no-smoking mantras and making some decisions about eating and diabetes that can only help me. One of the things that ran through my mind was "I wouldn't put a cigarette in my mouth; why would I consider putting food that doesn't work for my diabetes in my mouth?"

That spoke to me.

I know for the first week of eating properly and getting blood sugars controlled and keeping them there will be like that first week of quitting smoking - filled with the "I did it!" and excitement of not smoking.  I am approaching this gift I've given myself with the same determination as quitting smoking. If I can be quit for 588 days, I can do anything.

Having said that, to all the newbies, if you can quit for one day, you can quit for 588. Do it for you and no one else. Bravo to all of you for making the decision to take Not One Puff Ever!

2020_07_25.jpg

My sister got me this card for my birthday. Worth sharing!

Donna

Day 588

12 Replies
maryfreecig

I love your message, love your update, love the poster at the end! Good to hear from you, DonnaMarie.

elvan

Happy Birthday, Donna!  It is SO GOOD to hear from you.  That card from your sister made me laugh out loud,  my sister and I look all year for cards for each other.  They HAVE to be funny and memorable...this thing is that we are both getting older and we can't remember if we have sent the cards in the past.  I have a little box on my dresser with cards to send and I was really glad that I had them when we went into shut down.  Turns out that lots of people got funny cards this year.

XOXO,

Ellen

Bonnie

Congrats on turning 65!  And you are SO right, if you can quit smoking you can quit foods that aren't good for you.  Love the card from your sister, humor will keep you young IRISapfel.jpg