cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

angiebear

Best craving diversions?

What do you all do to get your mind off of those first-coupla-days cravings?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
erif2

The first few days, i only drank Diet Coke.  I found that the first few days of quitting were easy for me.  I didnt start having cravings until i hit 1 week after not smoking. You just have to stay strong though.  Every time i think about smoking i just think that it is a want not a need, and i dont need cigarettes.  I also look back on how much money i have saved over the past month from not smoking, and that in itself is a lot to keep me from smoking again.

0 Kudos
firecracker2

I haven't quit yet, but I'm on day two of cutting back. I've never seriously tried to quit before so this is completely new to me. I've cut back to a quarter of what I used to smoke. My quit date is next Monday and I can't wait to see what it's like on the other side. It's like a roller coaster ride. If I'm distracted and busy I hardly even notice and then all of the sudden it just hits me like a bus and I can't stop thinking about it. The only thing really helping right now is repeating this.... you can do anything for a day. I try and think about all the crazy things people have to go through like walking through the desert for years, being in a war etc. and then by the time I'm done thinking about that it makes me think... well, at least I don't have to do that. All I have to do is not smoke.

0 Kudos
rayasunshine

I like to chew gum, always have. I'm on day 4 and I have chewed so much gum already. There are just so many triggers. Chewing gum has helped.

0 Kudos
firecracker2

I bought a bag of hard candy to try out tomorrow. I might have to turn to gum soon which I'm sure my husband will enjoy since he so kindly reminds everytime I chew a piece that I look like a cow chopping away it. Probably better than puffing away on a cig though.

0 Kudos
jmonhollen

I bought a ton of sugar free candy, so I'm not rotting my teeth out.  Today was my first day, and Altoids seemed to be working all day.  Only 4 cigarettes the whole day, none while I was at work, and 15 minutes to bedtime, so I'm feeling good about how this is going!

0 Kudos
catsssss

Not sure if I should contribute my suggestions since I haven't really quit YET...but I have 10 years sobriety from alcohol ..so I know about trying to get thoughts away from what you are quitting...I would suggest hobbies...do something..go for a walk..if you live where it is cold..bundle up..but find something to keep you busy..and maybe something to keep hands busy.  I have just started back to crocheting myself..and I have noticed that I'm smoking much less and not really thinking about smoking...

0 Kudos