cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lizzie

Beer and cigarettes...

Hello all!! I am 30 years old and have been quit for 157 hours, not that i've been counting...hehe
I wanna know what everyone does when they go out (or stay in) and drink...i've tried sayin' i'll just smoke when i drink, but it NEVER works. I always end up back in the smoker category. How does everyone deal?
0 Kudos
18 Replies
banter

Hi Lizzie, awesome job quitting! Please click the link below for more information on drinking:

Can people quit smoking and still drink alcohol?
0 Kudos
lizzie

Banter,
Thanks so much for the article! I appreciate it greatly!
0 Kudos
jes3

Ummm....maybe don't drink?
I know that when I drink, cigarettes taste better with alcohol and caffine (and I actually did read that somewhere).
Even if you just have a beer, the uge to smoke keeps on long after you've finished that beer.
0 Kudos
jacob4

I always take a pen and write "NO" on my left index finger - the hand that would hold a cigarette. Sure, it's silly, but I see it before I light up, and it's a strong reminder that I'm an ex.
Goofy, but it works for me.
0 Kudos
mark_g

i did something similar to that, for everyday i didnt smoke, i would write a little x on the back of my hand...sounded wierd as well but it actually worked and made me not smoke (this was in high school, i ended up smoking again until i quit 9 days ago)

good luck y'all
0 Kudos

I try to think of that time, at that one party, where I went to take a drink of my beer and realized that i had a cigarette and ashes rushing down my gullet. Oh man, you know thats happened. The very thought still just brings me to the point of vomit, but it keeps me from smoking. And I guess it keeps me from drinking sometimes too.
0 Kudos
lizzie

Thanks for the encouragement, saying, and laugh! I'm on my 16th day and lordy, it seems as though it's gettin' harder instead of easier! Thanks for the response!
0 Kudos
bob32

Hey I had to go a few weeks without a brew and thats a while for me . LOL but I'm good now alcohol is the biggest trigger and I'm with you I went through the whole I'll just smoke when I drink !!! AS IF LOL
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Day 16 congrats Lizzie !

Alcohol has ruined many a good quit but anything is doable when you are determined to succeed.

Keep working on your quit....16 days is just a good start....keep reading ...keep posting keep learning to fight this addiction with everything you got for as long as you live. It has been worth it for me and hopefully you will feel the same soon.

I hope we can see your super quit journey in the daily pledge (not to smoke ) group. It really helped me build a strong smoke free foundation and now its been over 51 months since my last puff...because smoking is just not an option anymore for me.

Keep on keeping on and never stop believing in your smoke free self !
0 Kudos