cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bjh_68

Back on track!

Morning everyone, update on me I had a rough day, the day before yesterday. I battle with something you will have to google and it's called 'Old Arnold Chiari Malformation', just some of my symptoms are Peripheral Neuropathy and Chiari Headaches. I think the weather also impacts days when headaches are worse such as alot of pollen or when fronts come through and the pressure is high or low. Anyways the day I was sick, having major headaches I had a slip and had a few cigarettes again, but yesterday,I am back up trying again...I have done too good to give up...but I got to make me a plan of what I should do when these headaches come on and not turn to a cigarette.

11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I wonder if you are keeping cigarettes around "just in case?"  If so - stop it!  Whatever you have in your possession, put them under running water and then trash them.  Keeping them around is just giving yourself permission to fail (ahead of time!)

I would think when you have an awful headache that the thing you most want to do is sleep - or just lie in a darkened room with your eyes closed.  If you would lie there and smoke - stop it!  Perhaps play soothing music or meditation style music?  Can you visualize a relaxing place you have been, or take slow, deep breaths; going slower and deeper with each? Or think of the names of U.S. cities for each letter of the alphabet, or girls' or boys' name, or objects?   Perhaps listen to some books on tape?  If your sight is good enough, perhaps work on a children's coloring book (there would be larger pictures).  Get some bubble juice and get outside and blow bubbles?  I gave you a list of 100 things to do instead of smoke  - perhaps taking a look at that might give you some more ideas.

The idea is to distract yourself both from the pain and the thoughts of smoking.  Your mind is your worst enemy in this fight, so you need to keep it busy!!!

Hope today you are feeling better!

Nancy

bjh_68

Thank you, I have not tried meditation before but it sounds like a good ideal. I am going to try that and at least it will keep my brain busy through the urges. When my head aches come on, yes sometimes I sleep because it tires me out and even sometimes I lie in darkness and I have a headache hat I use also...Other times it hurts and I tough it out...best I can. I do have to take all cigarettes I have left, wet them and throw them in trash so they are not a option for me. I do see bright colors so I can play anything that has bright colors and listen to books, I like to listen to birds sounds and guess what they are.. so there are many things I can do. I am legally blind and cannot see details but there is still alot of things I can do and there is a play room for the blind where I can go play  cards and solitaire. Thanks so much for your support. I can reach out again before I grab another cigarette. Thanks again.

bjh_68

This morning I had urges to smoke but instead I did some reading with my screen reader and listened to some videos till they passed.

bjh_68

I wanted to add when the headache came on, I was feeling low and my will to fight the urge just went flop on me. This only happens when I get the bad headaches. I do see my neuro today about the headaches. I kept some cigarettes around in case I break down and can't fight the urge and I also use cigarettes as a medicine too. The good thing is I never broke down until the headache came on! To learn from this, I have a headache hat and that need to be my solution and I suppose I need to rid of all cigarettes from my house so it is not even a option. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Chocolate and listening/singing along with music will also give you the same hit of dopamine you got from a cigarette.  Do THAT instead of smoking.

Barbscloud

I certainly never heard of this before.   How long have you been dealing with this?  Have you tried anything like meditation.  Smoking can contribute to headaches and a migraine, but I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know already.  Don't give up your desire to quit.  Try to reach out for help next time before you smoke.

Barb

bjh_68

Yes we can get headaches from stopping smoking. Chiari headaches are kind of different, it hurts in the back of the head and can sometimes run around to the back of the eyes.. I am not giving up though,,I have done to good to do that...I will reach out the next time and also plan to use my headache hat and meditation ...and other t hings if need be.thank you so much for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
sweetplt

I suffer from weather related migraines since having brain aneurysm surgery...& I can tell you cigarettes are not doing headaches any good.  Glad you got back in your quit journey...Day 1 is Day Won ~ Colleen 116 DOF 

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

55744404_2222325331354769_6325231966413127680_n.pngBlessing to you

0 Kudos