cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BoomBoomPants

Anyone out there still not quit? 

Not that I don’t appreciate all the advice and support, or that I don’t get invaluable tools from people who have succeeded, but I don’t see many posts from people who are still in the thick of it, like I am, and I feel like I would benefit from an accountability partner or partners.  Someone who’s going through the same things at the same time. 

I’ve been on the other side of quitting before, and I know how good it feels to be a non smoker.  And I know all the things tripping me up right now are the addition poisoning my mind. No one has ever quit with me before, but I’d like to try it to see if it helps. 

I’ve set several quit dates and they’ve come and gone. I can’t help but get discouraged after each failure, even though I know this is a process and I’m not throwing in the towel. I let myself get angry, sad, etc, then I pick myself up and try again a day or two later.  

Just for an update, I guess, in the last three weeks I’ve tried the following things without success: 

- Cold turkey- this is how I’ve always quit in the past 

- Zyban- awful side effects that, in hindsight, crippled my quit for two weeks.  I was suicidal, was having symptoms of dementia, feeling that myself and everything around me wasn’t real, I hated everything I looked at: my house, my family, myself. It was an absolute psychotic nightmare.  And I didn’t even notice. My mom told me after about a week and a half that I didn’t seem right. Then I looked back on all my suicidal thoughts etc, of the last week and said “wow, you’re right!”  On top of all that, it did absolutely nothing for my smoking cravings. Because of my existing mental illness and chemistry, I don’t think Zyban or Chantix are for me. 

- nicotine gum- probably going to be my go-to aid because it works to take the edge off without any bad side effects. 

- juul- works well but the guilt of the dangers give me that “well, I might as well smoke real cigarettes if I’m going to do something harmful” outlook, so I end up just smoking again.

- patches- helped but gave me painful radiating muscle spasms in whatever appendage it was on, even step 3. 

- cutting back- I’m like a compulsive maniac. . When I feel like I can’t smoke or try to limit it, I want to do it more.  I end up binging. 

- Easy Way book-  I’ve read it 2.5 times now 

- I have nicotine lozenges that I’m going to try next. 

So that’s where I am. Still here and still trying. Embarrassed that I’m not one of the ones celebrating days quit. Wondering if there’s anyone active on here going through the same. Trying to stay accountable even though I’d like to just never log into here again so I don’t feel guilty or like a failure amongst all these very kind and lovely successful quitters .  

Michelle 

Tags (1)
18 Replies
Sootie

Everyone above has given you great advice....let me just add one thing....try to analyze why you tend to cave in and smoke. What is happening when you give up? Then, plan what you might do INSTEAD of smoking. And, don't expect it to be easy......it is simple (don't smoke.....simple) but NOT easy. So get ready for some rough days where you will think...oh I'm just going to smoke. but TELL YOURSELF you WILL NOT.

You CAN do this.....we all did and we are no different from you!

elvan

This is a journey and Giulia‌ is right, you seem to be looking for an aide to quit or a supporter to quit with and this journey is one step at a time.  I won't tell you it is easy because it wasn't easy for me.  I can tell you what is worse that reading about how well people are doing with their quits...it is reading about how absolutely wonderful they feel after quitting for just a couple of weeks.  I was SO JEALOUS of all of those people who could run and who were already experiencing the improvement in their health.  I smoked for a long time...I will never feel full of energy and not short of breath.  The damage is done and it is irreversible.  You have to commit not to smoke, no matter what.  Zyban and Chantix can both have side effects, some people have issues with the patch.  I quit with lots and lots of water, Sour Patch Kids, and deep breaths, and I spent every possible moment I could on this site.  I could never have quit without it.

You really CAN do this.

Ellen

PrimeNumberJD

1. Please don't disappear from the site. I hate that you feel uncomfortable, can we change the framing so that you aren't uncomfortable? Most of us have gone through similar failures, empathize with you, and only wish your success; I don't think you will stick to the quit if you quit coming here. 

2. You don't see the quitters who quit quitting on here for very long. They tend to vanish and never return. That can make it seem like it is only those who have quit or who are going through their quit; I've been on the site 62 days, and there have been about 6 people who vanished that I noticed, probably even more got those who get on, look around, and leave without ever saying anything. 

3. If determination alone would get you there, you would be the most successful quitter on here! You seem very dedicated. This is obvious in your documentation and thorough analysis of your attempts. I see that you have identified several ways that won't work for you, and 1 or 2 paths to try. 

4. You're undermining your success by concentrating on your failures. Look back at where you started and to where you are now and identify all the positive changes and journey you have taken. You've won battles, no doubt, and you are still in the fight, I commend you for that! Now, give yourself credit for those and continue to identify how to win the couple of battles you aren't. 

5. Your battle shares themed but is unique. I would hope you document, blog, and share your experiences. Once you crack the code, I have a feeling your experiences and knack for documenting will help several people in the future. 

Sootie

PrimeNumberJD

This is SO true so please take note BoomBoomPants‌......don't quit quitting. It is too bad you haven't succeeded yet BUT...we will help you. If you disappear ( as many do when they simply feel they are not successful and don't want to hang around with the successful). but we are successful BECAUSE we stayed!!! Any number of us had many,many quits and some of us have sad stories to tell. But we hung in and made it. YOU CAN TOO!!!!

PrimeNumberJD

How much this site helps folks is evident in the quitters who relapse years later. They come right back to the Ex; I've seen several of these people. So, once we help you get quit BoomBoomPants‌, you should probably keep with the Sexy Exers; your story will encourage so many people. 

BoomBoomPants

Thank you all. I know I’m going to do this. Your words are a great encouragement!

I tend to be really hard on myself, which I realize is only getting in my way.  And not just with smoking. I’m having a hard time staying in the present. I get through 15 hours smoke free (which is easily double how long I could go before I started this. It was the last thing I did before I went to bed, and the first thing when I woke up, plus sometimes in the middle of the night when the kids woke me up ), and all I think about is how much longer the day is, how much longer just to get to 24 hours smoke free, how many days I’ll have to refrain before it starts getting easier, how I may have cravings the rest of my life, etc.  and that’s when I lose it. Anxiety ahoy! 

I’m a work in progress. Thanks for supporting me!

PrimeNumberJD

maybe don't think so big in the beginning

how much longer just to get to 24 hours smoke free... how many days

Get through the crave, perhaps 15 minutes... the rest will start to fall in place! I’m a work in progress. Thanks for supporting me!

Totally

I’m a work in progress. Thanks for supporting me!

Aren't we all! 

Keep close, and post, post, post! I'm so happy you are still in the fight! Absolutely encouraging to me! 

Barbscloud

Don't forget to remind yourself as often as needed.  "I don't do that anymore"

Barb

Giulia

"all I think about is how much longer the day is, how much longer just to get to 24 hours smoke free, how many days I’ll have to refrain before it starts getting easier, how I may have cravings the rest of my life, etc."   We all felt the same way!  You must trust us when we say it won't always be like that.  None of us would have been able to survive quitting if it didn't change and the cravings become less.