cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Bstar888

Anyone here have smoking relapse are 90 days in?

Hi y'all! I'm new here and have not ever shared my attempts at quitting with anyone before, but I've come to realize that no man is an island, and being independent is fine until you come to terms with actual dependency upon a substance. 

That being said, I've been around this "mountain" several times before, and every time I come to the 3 month mark... I crack!  I start smoking! The desire is so incredibly strong that it even supercedes the first week of quitting. It's beyond my understanding as to why. 

Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation, and how did you defeat it? Why does this happen at this point of quitting? Any insight would be very, very appreciated! Thanks in advance, and congrats on making the decision to live, and to live without cigarettes!  

Tags (1)
31 Replies
karenjones

she  was talking about herself. 

Gwenivere

So sorry, but you misunderstood.  I was talking about the people involved in my situations.  Nope, I don’t know what you’ve been thru.  And if I did, I still would have no right to make any judgments.  

0 Kudos
dljensen

I see,... Try real hard, stick to the quit!!!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Ah -  No Mans Land!  2-4 months quit.     Your friends and family seem to think you should be "over it" already - and you do, too.  The excitement of the first month is fading, your are more comfortable in your new life, and the craves have become more manageable.  And THEN, the mother of all craves can hit you and seem to last forever.  You are surprised,not prepared, and therein lies the problem!  Expect it might happen, and be ready for it with the tools you found worked in the early days of your quit.  Take a walk, play a computer game - change your mind's direction.  It WILL pass, but it will require some effort on your part.  This part of the journey WILL end - its length varies from person to person.  My most difficult day was around 108, I think.  I had a few spells, and then they stopped as quickly as they came.  This site prepared me for it, so I was able to navigate it successfully.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance  You can search for No Mans Land with the magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner and find tons of good information and peoples' experiences with it.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through the craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Bstar888

This is freaking rad! Thank you for all the information! You guys should know that I have been fighting with myself over the past few weeks and almost gave up... But the texts kept coming in and didn't stop. That's what made me keep trying to quit. Logged in and saw all these replies and it literally gave me strength to keep trying- no joke. Didn't know this could be so real and so relatable and that it's not a singular journey. Very very cool and very relieving. Thank you!!

Barbara145

Welcome!  I smoked for 52 years.  I tried to quit many times.  My only long quit (more than a few days) was in 2000.  I quit for 90 days.  I was on patches and was seeing a physician weekly for counseling and support. I had stopped the patches.  I had never stopped crying everyday.  I could not let go.  I drove through a bad snow storm to buy a CARTON of cigarettes.  I continued to smoke until 2013 when I quit and found this site.  Nicotine replacement, patches and gum for a year and this site was the answer for me.  That was 5 years ago.  Sure wish I had continued with that first 90 day quit. With my continuation of smoking I ended up with severe emphysema. Glad you found us.   

Bstar888

Oh my gosh... I can't believe you said that you cried every day!! That is SO me!!! Seriously, I was beginning to think I was just a crazy, nutty, baby that suddenly developed chemical depression along with my ADHD!!! Wow and WOW. Thank you for your transparency and for sharing- I was not expecting to feel like this and certainly not expecting to hear from others that could even remotely feel the same or even relate. You all are making a believer out of me regarding this program and especially in believing I CAN quit!

Thank you!

anaussiemom

I had a 10 month relapse.  I guess your guard has to be up, as well as mindset, and alas the dreaded pledge to ourselves.  We are addicts, pure and simple, have to squish those thoughts anytime we need to.

Best wishes
Kim

I understand your concern. After fighting for all that time just to cave in the end could never be fun. My past relapses were generally either long before ninety days or or way after, but for me, I knew I relapsed those first times mainly because I didn't really want to quit. I was toying with myself because in the end I was doomed to failure.

Don't get me wrong, even successful quitters didn't want to quit but still do. On my last successful quit eight years ago, I made sure that I was ready through a course of preparation where I learned my addiction and understood how I interacted with that addiction. It's always a good idea to know your enemy before going into battle, and that was the difference for me. And really you have first hand experience with going through the worst of the quit.

I think the first thing to do after a relapse is to determine what made you lose your quit. Exactly what were you thinking at the moment you caved. Then you can figure out what to do next time so that it doesn't happen again. If we continue to do the same things over and over again with the same results then that tells us we need to find something different to add to the mix and that starts with knowledge and learning all about the fight. 

You haven't failed until you give up completely. I look forward to reading of your success!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck 

Bstar888

Wow. Another great statement - "It's always a good idea to know your enemy before going into battle" - I'm going to keep that one in mind and in my mindset... because cigarettes ARE my enemy. That will help shape my thought process concerning my "relationship" with them. This is great stuff! Thank you!!